[Fredslist] Science fiction meets Passover

Raj Goel, CISSP raj at brainlink.com
Sun Mar 17 13:34:50 EDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
From: jkapner at brainlink.com
Sent: Sun Mar 17 13:13:26 EDT 2013
To: CISSP Raj Goel <raj at brainlink.com>
Subject: Here is another Passover article

For the Sci Fi fan (old style)

In the section called the “Four Questions,” the Passover seder
very wisely recognizes that different children learn differently,
depending on their disposition, level of knowledge, age, etc. Here’s
how I got my kids to care about the Four Children at our seder last
night:

Obi-Wan Kenobi as the Wise Child: The wise child almost always follows
the rules. He wants nothing more than to learn from his teachers and
to use his learning for the good of others. A lifelong learner, he
embodies the spirit of tradition, and uses his skills to live those
traditions and pass them on.

Anakin Skywalker as the Wicked Child: Why is this child wicked? Not
because he is not learned; he knows enough to ask questions! And not
because he doesn’t care; he is sitting at the seder table (or the
Jedi council, as the case may be). His problem is that he separates
himself from those around him, and in so doing, he becomes
increasingly self-centered. The wicked child’s choices are about
what is best for him and him alone. If others have to suffer to
accomplish this, so be it.

Jar Jar Binks as the Simple Child: The simple child is not the
cleverest or most knowledgeable, but his heart is in the right place.
He asks unsophisticated questions, but he cares deeply about what is
right. If we explain simply, and encourage him to participate as an
equal, he will grow in his understanding and skill and can make a real
contribution.

Luke Skywalker as the Child Who Does Not Know How to Ask: The fourth
child has not had the benefit of having been taught. Either because he
is too young, or because he simply had no access to the proper
education (or because he was being hidden from his Sith Lord father in
an effort to save him and the galaxy from destruction). He is not
simple, and he is not wicked, but he lacks the knowledge that he needs
and does not even know where to begin asking questions. He can be
taught, and he can become a great leader, but he needs guidance.

Rabbi Micah Streiffer is the rabbi of Temple Kol Ami in Thornhill,
Ontario, Canada, where he lives with his wife and three sons. He was
ordained at the Cincinnati campus of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish
Institute of Religion in 2007.
Originally published at Chutz Mizeh - Otherwise...
Published: 3/05/2013