[Fredslist] Evan Horowitz's seminar today

Phyllis Weiss Haserot pwhaserot at pdcounsel.com
Thu Dec 19 22:22:19 EST 2013

I am sure many of you who didn't attend could benefit from Evan's advice, delivered in an engaging, energetic style with a useful exercise to drive home the points he made. He titled the presentation "Ugh! Prospects Don't Get How Awesome We Are." His reasoning is that most people talk too much about the features of what they do and how they do it (the prospect usually doesn't care) and not enough about the prospect/client's problem and the results the service provider helps the client achieve. That's what they want to know. As we marketers say, the focus has to be on the client - laser focused and as specific as possible.

As a business development/marketing consultant and coach  for over 02 years, the seminar was great reinforcement for me.  My greatest takeaway was: to sell to the person you are speaking with, regardless of who is the ultimate decision-maker or the user you will work with when you get the business. Those of us who work with organizations rather than individual consumers especially need to remember that. You need to address and try to solve the problem of each of the people you are speaking with in the sales process.

Thanks, Evan!  Good to meet you, and it was time well spent.
Phyllis

> Phyllis Weiss Haserot
> Practice Development Counsel
> Consulting/Coach to the Next Generation
> Author of "The Rainmaking Machine: Marketing Planning, Strategy and Management for Law Firms" and "The Marketer's Handbook of Tips & Checklists"
>
> * Next Generation, Next Destination*
> * Cross-Generational Conversation*
>
> Voice:: 212-593-1549
> pwhaserot at pdcounsel.com