[Fredslist] A context for honoring Nelson Mandela -- and Gab's family

Phyllis E. Dubrow pdubrow at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 7 13:57:53 EST 2013

Worth seeing - and being proud of: http://aol.it/195wy1m

NYC Women's Group member Gabrielle Carlson's wonderful mother, Jeanette
Carlson, was interviewed by The Weinstein Co. for promoting its Long Walk to
Freedom film, to talk about what Nelson Mandela represents.  Both of Gab's
parents were intimately involved with the very long struggle in South Africa
against apartheid:

Gab's father, Joel Carlson, was an attorney who defended and was a hero to
Mandela and many other African National Congress activists; Jeanette was an
active member of the Black Sash, a white women's resistance organization.
While Mandela was in prison, Joel remained active in making the U.S. and the
rest of the world aware of what was happening in South Africa.

Jeanette knew Mandela long before he was a hero and an icon, and she
provides valuable insight for appreciating who he became.

For perspective:  Jeanette's interview is among those with Madeline
Albright, Justice Stephen Breyer, Al Gore, and Colin Powell, Also Whoopi
Goldberg, Sean Combs, Richard Gere, and Al Sharpton.  I commend it to you.

In honoring Nelson Mandela, we are honoring Gab's family and the courage and
principles of so very many others.

Best,

Phyllis E. Dubrow | Attorney at Law

60 East 42nd Street, Suite 4600 | New York NY  10165

T: (212) 661-2885 | F: (212) 409-8682 | E: pdubrow at pipeline.com