[Fredslist] Great website for coordinating volunteers and caregivers (and happy tale of using it)

Jane Beddall jb at dovetailresolutions.com
Mon Apr 15 15:18:16 EDT 2013

Gotham,

It is a joy to share this information:

_About the website_: A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was a live kidney
donor (a little more about that wonderful story below.)  She is in her
mid-fifties, lives alone, no spouse or partner, no kids, nearest
relatives 300 miles away. In the weeks leading up to her surgery,
friends used a fantastic website, http://www.lotsahelpinghands.com, to
create a way to support her effectively and easily. We used a calendar
to sign up for commitments: drive to pre- and post-op appointments,
drive her to the hospital and home, stay in the hospital for a few hours
with her, cook meals, lift heavy things at home, etc. I lost count at
fifteen different people involved. We also had a place to share contact
info, photos, updates, and well wishes. I highly recommend it for
situations where people genuinely want to help, and the hardest parts
are knowing what is needed and how to volunteer! Please spread the word
about this fabulous resource.

_About the live kidney donation_: The recipient is someone the donor has
known, not as a close friend, for ten years or so. He is in his mid- to
late- forties, with a wife and two daughters. His kidney disease came on
fast and furious. His brother volunteered to donate, but was rejected as
a candidate. A plea went out far and wide, and the friend I am proud to
know answered the call. The best photo on our coordination webpage shows
the recipient (the many tubes attached not visible) and donor in the
donor's room after he walked across the transplant unit the same day as
their surgeries! 24 hours after surgery, the donor was disconnected from
all her tubes, including IV pain meds; 24 hours after that she took her
first pain pills -- tylenol. (She wasn't a martyr when she declined
tramadol; she just didn't need it.) I drove her home 48 hours after
surgery, where another friend met us and then stayed until the donor's
sister arrived for the weekend. Within two weeks the donor was back at
work part-time, not by necessity but by choice. And the recipient is
doing fine, as well. Both of them are inspiring people!

--
Jane Beddall, M.A., J.D.
Dovetail Resolutions, LLC
jb at dovetailresolutions.com