[Fredslist] Learn from my estate planning nightmare

Langsam, Andrew Alangsam at PRYORCASHMAN.com
Fri Sep 21 15:41:24 EDT 2012

And, my father in law, never took a vacation in over 40 years, worked as a business man for his life, a landlord for the last 20, amassed an estate of about 10 million dollars and now, because he refused to do the right thing, we are likely looking at providing IRS with a check in the amount of about $1.5 million plus  and the NYS Tax Dept. about $600,000 or more.

What a waste where a little bit of planning would have saved his 4 children a lot of money.

Andy
________________________________
From: fredslist-bounces at gothamnetworking.com [fredslist-bounces at gothamnetworking.com] on behalf of Liz Saldana [LSaldana at Halstead.com]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 12:48 PM
To: fredslist at gothamnetworking.com
Cc: Erin Ardleigh; 'Jane Beddall'
Subject: RE: [Fredslist] Learn from my estate planning nightmare

Agreed! However, just in case Erin’s story isn’t enough; I’ll add mine.

My Father-in-Law, who insisted to everyone for years including after finding out he was terminally ill, that “everything was taken care of”.  Well there’s no nice way to say this…he lied.  While in the hospital he ask me (he was too afraid to ask one of his 6 children) to ask his attorney to bring his Will to the hospital so he could sign it.  Guess what?  When I called, the attorney said “What Will?”  The day before he passed away, my father-in-law signed a basic Will.  My husband and I have been cleaning up the mess this left since 2006.

We have wonderful resources in Gotham.  Have your family and friends call them, call them yourselves!  I know times are hard and we are all busy trying to survive; but this is important.

Liz

A referral is the greatest compliment of all!

Liz Saldaña
Halstead Property, LLC
831 Broadway New York, NY 10003
Lic. R.E. Salesperson
Office: 212 381-4260
Cell: 917 697-3005
Fax: 646 775-4279
Website: www.Halstead.com<UrlBlockedError.aspx>
Watch my Agent Profile Video<http://www.halstead.com/properTV.aspx?video=788A43A32F>
Start searching all NYC Listings Today!<UrlBlockedError.aspx>