[Fredslist] I was BIB #212 as I ran the NYC 60K (37.2 mile) race on 11/17 & Raised $4737 for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

jnkruns at aol.com jnkruns at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 16:43:54 EST 2012

Happy Thanksgiving.

As many of you know, I was supposed to run the NYC Marathon on November 4th  with Fred's Team raising money for Cancer Research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center that was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy.   As a runner who has completed 16 marathons, I felt very strongly that as race day was approaching,  NY roadrunners and the NYC government needed to cancel this race. It was just not an appropriate time to put on such a large event when so many people were suffering.  On Marathon sunday, I spent the day with friends volunteering at Atlas park in Glendale queens packing clothes that were donated to the storm victims of Hurricane Sandy.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend that Sunday.

Since I have trained for several months and have raised so much money for Cancer research, I decided last Monday that I would run my first Ultra Marathon which is any distance over 26.2 miles.  So on November 17th, I completed the NYC 60 K (37.2 mile) race in 8:03:56 at an average pace of  exactly a 13 minute mile.  I was also Bib #212 which as many of you know is the NYC area code.  Feel free and check out my official results at
http://web2.nyrrc.org/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/202853.1.417963731457288391

The race was 9 loops around Central park.  I had some friends come out and support me during the day and also do some of the loops with me in Central Park.  My Fred's Team Coach also came out to support me and 2 other Fred's Team runners who completed the race.  I took the race nice and slow by jogging an 11 minute mile and taking many frequent walk breaks.  I felt great from the start of the race to the finish.

I am very happy to tell you that since 2002  I have raised over $100,000 and a total of $4737 for cancer research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  My home page will remain open to the end of the year if you would like to make a donation.  Feel free and go to my link at

http://mskcc.convio.net/site/TR/FredsTeamEvents/Freds_Team?px=1758467&pg=personal&fr_id=1730

As the holiday season approaches, I wanted wish you and your family a healthy and happy holiday season.

Thank you for your support!!

Jeffrey kamberg
108-37 71st Ave-Apt 14H
Forest Hills, NY 11375