[Fredslist] ODE TO OUR MISSING VOTING MACHINES

Susan Zinder sfzinder at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 10:41:07 EST 2012

Gotham ­ I voted ­ have you?????

So... This morning at 9:00 am I went and stood on one line to get inside the
polling place, another to get to the election district and a third to scan
in my ballot -- -  Took a half hour and was more chaotic than I had ever
seen it (2 of the 4 ballot scanners for over 10 election districts were
broken)

I know I'm generally thought of as "liberal"  but when it comes to the
subject of voting machines - - I'm not liberal, I'm not conservative, I'm
downright reactionary!!!

I MISS THE VOTING MACHINES!!!!!!  You went in to the polling place, the line
at the election district was shorter - there were 2 machines dedicated to
the district -(not 4 scanners for 20 districts) - - Signed in at the
election district (noticed that my original signature was legible and 25
years into legal practice my signature has just become illegible - -oiy I'm
getting old!)

Oh - - look ­ that dad just took his son into the booth with him.

Then.... You walked into the voting booth - and booth it was not a table
with metal on the sides to keep you from cheating on the exam, where there's
no room to bring your child once their out of the sling or baby bjorn.
Heavy plastic curtains (oiy - they needed to be cleaned, but that only meant
that they had seen a lot of voting over the years) You weren't filling in an
SAT, PSAT or LSAT form - but you went into a booth with the candidates
identified in front of you and next to levers, levers and more levers.

You took the big lever and pulled it to the right - - grrrrr - - it said I"m
now ready to accept your vote - - and you voted - - - you didn't fill in
blank ovals, you didn't press out chads - - you pressed the levers down - -
physical, click was the sound - then you looked - did I press the correct
levers?   Did I do it right - - wait, let me read that proposal, wait - I
know I end up voting down a party line but that guy is on both party lines,
for him I'll be bipartisan (unpress one lever, press the other)

Then check again - - did I do it right?  Hmmm.

Oh, remember when I went into the voting booth with mom?  Fun mother  -
daughter time.... OK, I'm taking too long here, want to leave time for my
neighbors....

Time to pull the lever at the bottom from the right to the left.  Such a big
lever -  so satisfying!  And the sound - it tells me - YOU HAVE VOTED
CITIZEN ZINDER!!!! YEA FOR YOU!!!

NowŠ no sound, no acknowledgement, no receipt (at least when I scan my check
in at the atm, they give me a picture of it) - - not really sure I should
trust the guy who coded the scanner.

ButŠ I still voted, and hope for the best for the country. SoŠ. No more YEAs
for me - -  It should only be yea for the country!!!

Susan

Susan Zinder

Law Offices of Susan F. Zinder, PLLC.
1140 Avenue of the Americas, 9th Floor