[Fredslist] Restaurant suggestion for Gotham foodies

JanPresent at aol.com JanPresent at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 14:25:10 EDT 2012

Happy Friday fellow Gothamites;

Under normal circumstances I do not particularly like Greek food  unless I
happen to find myself on Corfu. Under normal circumstances I  cannot be
persuaded to go over to the UWS just for dinner unless, you know, we  are
sailing for Europe.:-)

The truth is I'm really lazy.

However, this past week I was invited to do both by someone I could never
refuse.  I am so happy I made the effort. And I want to share the
experience with you. Open for only four months, the restaurant's name is  LOI.

Noted Hellenic Chef Maria Loi has opened an upscale Greek restaurant on
West 70th Street , (208 West 70th to be exact, a few steps west of Amsterdam
Avenue.) Lovely Maria, herself, is on the scene in this modern, up to the
minute, sleek, handsome venue.

She does not insist on that awful Retsina, but has a wonderful selection of
 international wines. Of course the food is Greek, but unusual, creative
Greek.  OKI, I admit to liking moussaka, so I decided to test hers against the
ones I  have tasted in Greece and I thought it was unusual and delicious.

I won't comment on the pricing because I am accustomed to the gouging
prices of the UES, but the prices seemed entirely reasonable to me. I was with a
 party of 10 people, pretty sophisticated "foodies" from Italy, Spain and
the  meat packing district. We all declared it excellent.

Go now before she gets seriously reviewed and then you won't be able to say
 you were the first in your crowd and act like a really superior,
know-it-all New  Yorker.
212-875-8600

Jane W. Present
799 Park Avenue