[Fredslist] New Adventures in Zinderland; TWs foray to a Gotham Outpost

Corey Bearak Bearak at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 15:33:48 EDT 2011

So on the return from the latest Traveling Willburys jaunt to Princeton and Mediterra Restaurant, I compose this commentary on our visit with Gotham's Princeton Group chaired by Josh Zinder and coordinated ably by Karen Nathan.

As usual, wheelman Mitch Tobol drove so well I paid no attention from my seat behind the shotgun-seated tribal leader.  We departed on time from my the parking lot for my pool and my Y.

The highlight -- besides the banter on the way -- sort of the chatter that might occur on a boys & girls night out -- for me anyway remains the opportunity to meet other Gothamites and prospective fresh fish.

I suspect the highlight for everyone else but the tribal leader who already viewed it was Gotham webmaster Mitch Tobol's presentation on the new website.  I will share this  for the the non-GC and non-chairs, and those not present this afternoon: When it goes "public" in the new year, the new 21st Century Gotham website will really provide a useful tool for Gotham members; I know Mitch will feel better if more members make use of it.

Princeton members are a fun group and I recommend a visit.  And if the weather is better than we experienced, arrive early and then take in the town.  We endured the rain and with umbrellas and rain gear, we enjoyed a pre-meeting walking tour of the town just across from the university campus.

Even the non-business discussions before the formal meetings were really cool. Attorney Jared Witt commented on one of my posts that linked to a Buffalo Springfield concert earlier this year; Financial Planner Irv Urken then mentioned he liked the band and his wife attended high school with the one and only "boss"  (remember are in Jersey).  I made notes on their cards to email them the info for Springfield co-founder (with Neil Young and Stephen Stills) Richie Furay's November 12 concert at the TBJ Sanctuary in Short Hills, NJ.

After the meet-up, I enjoyed a stimulating chat with architect and construction manager Cary Spiegel on the impacts of the City's Department of Building on the development process.  I hope I educated Cary just a bistle.

And by the way, this is a very special day for me in Gotham.  Two years back - to the day, at an Israeloff CLE, ably coordinated by Lisa Waterman, there were three speakers -- all of whom I later learned were involved in Gotham,  One spoke during the seminar of his softball prowess and coaching ball as well.  Since I had an interest, played that game rather successfully and coached more than a dozen years and was fortunate enough to coach young ladies --including my daughter -- talented enough to win a few championships, I decided to chat with that softball-loving attorney.  He asked me what I do; i explained; he turns and says something to Lisa about whether Gotham had anyone who did what I do (I prefer not to use the one-word description).  The rest is history.

Above comments have been moderated and approved by seatmate Cindy Somma

Corey B. Bearak, Esq.
Government & Public Affairs Counselor
P.O. Box 135, Glen Oaks, NY 11004
(718) 343-6779 ♦ facsimile (888) 379-3492
Bearak at aol.com ♦ CoreyBearak.com ♦ Bearak on Twitter
If you receive this email and did not request it, please reply and I will kindly remove your email address from the list.
This Internet Email Transmission may contain Confidential or Privileged Information which is intended only for use by the individual or entity for which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify this office by telephone immediately so that we can arrange for the return of the documents to us at no cost to you.
[sent from my MacBook Pro]