[Fredslist] Internet Hacking Case

Susan Zinder sfzinder at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 13:10:23 EDT 2011

Gotham -

Friends of mine (who have just had a baby and are very financially stressed)
have gotten a letter (and a copy of a subpoena duces tecum) from Cablevision
that their IP address is the subject of a lawsuit in Florida.

It appears from what I can gather from the paperwork that on June 22 someone
used their unsecured I.P. address to download proprietary stuff from the web
(probably porn given the names of the plaintiff corporations).  The
plaintiffs are a group of California corporations, but the case is venued in
Miami Dade (making me think that there may be something very plaintiff
friendly in the law in Florida).   In June my friends were living in
Connecticut and they are currently living in NYC (with a currently secured
internet connection) - so they have no Florida connection.

SoŠ does anyone have experience with cases like this?  They really have no
money to fully respond but need to get rid of it.  If there is a gothamite
out there with experience of this kind of case who I could consult with for
a half hour it would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Susan