[Fredslist] A special request from a Chicago Gothamite

Mary Beth Berkoff marybeth at creativeconsortiumpr.com
Wed May 25 13:05:51 EDT 2011

Dear Gothamites,

After too many years of unsuccessful and heartbreaking attempts to get pregnant naturally and through fertility procedures, my son and daughter-in-law are actively looking to adopt an infant.  Currently, many domestic adoptions are handled by the birth parent selecting the adoptive parent.  This is a huge responsibility and an enormous decision for them to make.

My kids are working with an Illinois licensed child welfare agency called Family Resource Center (FRC) that will help by sharing their profile with birth parents who come to them and by posting their profile on their website.  They have completed their home study with FRC and have a foster license through the Department of Child and Family Services. (You need both of these to adopt in Illinois).  FRC has advised them that one of the best ways to make a connection with a birth parent is through word of mouth and they shouldn’t limit their search to Illinois.

So, they have asked me to help them by sharing this with all my friends and family and as well as my other networks, in hopes you may pass their information along.  If you know anyone who is pregnant, and may be considering adoption, I would be grateful if you gave her their contact information.  I have attached a copy of a letter to the prospective birth parent and several photos of my son and daughter-in-law.  You can also help by sharing their story with anyone you know who may come into contact with potential birth parents (doctors, clergy, nurses, high school teachers, social workers, guidance counselors, lawyers, college kids…).  They can be reached directly at info at clairemichael.net.

Thank you for your help.  You could help bring a great joy into our family's life.

Most sincerely,

Mary Beth Berkoff
Chicago Gothamite

Mary Beth Berkoff, President