[Fredslist] Lovely young woman looking for work - Assistant Designer or related field

Gail Koelln gkoelln at inspiredperspectivescoaching.com
Fri Feb 25 07:26:34 EST 2011

Fellow Gothamites,

The daughter of good friends of me and my husband is looking for work. Her name is Emily Means and she is a really lovely young woman who is articulate and very bright. She is interested in commercial art, so she's interested in a position such as Assistant Designer, Fine Arts Assistant, Graphic Designer, and other related positions.

I've pasted below more information about her (in her own words) and her resume. You can contact her directly at emeans24 at gmail.com.

Best wishes,
Gail

During my time at Lehigh University, I cultivated an interest in
visual arts and design. I gained invaluable practical experience by
interning in the Photography Department of Runner's World Magazine at
Rodale Publishing. Here I assisted the Photo Editor in a variety of
tasks including researching photographers, assisting photo shoot
production and organizing the digital and print databases. Moreover,
as Art Director of the Lehigh Review, an annual publication dedicated
to the arts, I showed an ability to effectively work as a team leader,
managing the graphic design, photography and editorial staff. I
coordinated the re-design of the publication’s layout, working heavily
in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.

In addition, I have demonstrated a continuing commitment to the arts,
working for jewelry designer Jan Rich of Jan Rich International as
well as developing my personal portfolio.  My personal work in mixed
media includes a variety of materials  manipulated by hand as well as
digital media depending on the piece.

Taking time to travel abroad to Europe and East Africa for a year and
a half, has solidified my passion for visual arts. My experiences
abroad has influenced my design sensibilities as I sketched,
photographed and interacted with people from a wide range of
backgrounds and cultures.

EMILY GOODMAN MEANS

66 Princeton Street, Rockville Centre, NY 11570

516.509.4348, emeans24 at gmail.com

EXPERIENCE

Jan Rich International, Inc. (Winter, 2005- present)                              Rockville Centre, NY

Assistant Designer

·       Assisted Designer in creating fine jewelry pieces using a variety of materials including pearls, gold, silver, stones

·       Produced inventory for high-end boutiques as well as commercial retail

·       Facilitated organization, archived designs and executed timely distribution of inventory

The Lehigh Review, Lehigh University (Spring, 2009)           Bethlehem, PA

Art Director, Text Editor & Graphic Designer

·       Re-designed the layout, conceptualized original artwork, including cover art and photo shoot production

·       Managed the design and editorial staff in terms of delegating tasks and setting high standards for success

·       Edited, formated and printed the final copy of the publication, including overseeing the distribution

Runner's World Magazine, Rodale Publishing (Summer, 2008)                            Emmaus, PA

Photography Intern

·       Executed photo research and constructed page layouts, including for the Beijing Olympics Preview

·       Assisted in photo shoot production, including post-production layouts in InDesign

·       Organized and managed both digital and print archives

Integrated Product Design Presentation, Lehigh University (Spring, 2009)                                      Bethlehem, PA

Head Designer

·       Conceptualized the client’s needs in terms of ideas, materials and overall desired aesthetic

·       Designed and produced cohesive presentation materials of an engineering product for industrial sponsors

EDUCATION

Lehigh University (BA received May, 2009)           Bethlehem, PA

Major: English with Departmental Honors, Minor: Studio Art

Coursework: Digital Foundations, Drawing I & II, Design Foundations, Graphic Design I & III, Independent Study: Mixed Media I & II, Independent Study: Painting I & II

Honors & Leadership: Honors Thesis, Evaluating St. Margaret as a Model of Femininity (09); Finalist, 4th Annual Art & Design Juried Exhibition (09); Finalist, International Education Photo Contest (09); Athletics Leadership Academy (08-09); National Scholars Honor Society (08-09); 1st Place, Undergraduate Research Symposium (08); Dean's List (07-08); Division I Scholar-Athlete Academic Achievement Award (05-08)

Intermediate Spanish, C.E.E Academia de Idiomas (Fall, 2009)                                            Madrid, Spain

·       Studied Spanish language and culture with international students while living with a local family

Intermediate Print Making, Lafayette College (Spring, 2008)                          Easton, PA

·       Created three series of prints with an emphasis on plate etching techniques

Independent Study with Myron Barnstone at the M.B. Studio (Spring, 2008)                 Coplay, PA

·       Examined art and design using classical methods of drawing to effectively integrate form and function

History of Art in Italy (Summer, 2007)                                 Rome, Florence, Italy

·       Analyzed Italian art and architecture from Antiquity through the 18th century

COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTIONS

Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity, Gun Hill Community Center (Present)     Bronx, NY

Volunteer, Soccer without Borders, Hope School & Community Center (Spring, 2010)                       Ndejje, Uganda

Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity (Winter, 2008)                            Chennai, India

Volunteer, Soccer without Borders (Spring, 2008)                           Granada, Nicaragua

SKILLS

Computer: Skilled with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Microsoft Office

Visual Arts:  Painting, drawing, digital photography, sewing and wire sculpture

Communication: Advanced proficiency in written communication (research papers, journalism pieces, analytical pieces)

Gail Koelln, Certified Professional Coach
Coaching Family Members Caring for Elderly Relatives
(718) 776-7284
gkoelln at inspiredperspectivescoaching.com
www.inspiredperspectivescoaching.com