[Fredslist] Today is the Day The Music Died-clarification

Corey Bearak Bearak at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 10:55:46 EST 2011

Waylon was a member of Buddy Holly's band.

He and another band member gave up their seats to the Bopper and after a coin flip Ritchie Valens respectively.

More importantly for those fans of a more local music legend.

According to his own accounts, including several times I've heard him interviewed or performed, Dion DiMucci (Dion and the Belmonts) refused Holly's entreaties to share the charter cost so originally the flight would have been Holly and his then band members Jennings and Tommy Allsup.

The music never died, just some originators.

We hear the originals and many excellent covers to this day.  What we lost was opportunities to hear and see them perform live and make more music.  It certainly inspired legions of others including a band that opted for an insect like name not to dissimilar to Holly's Crickets.  I leave info about that storied group to Vincent Russo who I believe is Gotham foremost fan of that configuration of musicians.

Corey B. Bearak, Esq.
Government & Public Affairs Counselor
P.O. Box 135, Glen Oaks, NY 11004
(718) 343-6779 ♦ facsimile (888) 379-3492
Bearak at aol.com ♦ CoreyBearak.com ♦ Bearak on Twitter
If you receive this email and did not request it, please reply and I will kindly remove your email address from the list.
This Internet Email Transmission may contain Confidential or Privileged Information which is intended only for use by the individual or entity for which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify this office by telephone immediately so that we can arrange for the return of the documents to us at no cost to you.
[sent from my MacBook Pro]