[Fredslist] Joel, Sergio & Honest Politicians

Corey Bearak Bearak at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 14:01:18 EDT 2011

Congratulations to Sergio and Joel for a nice event.  Joel is a friend and fellow colleague in the "trade."  I know first hand he is good at what he does and there has been times pre-Gotham when he have been on the same team.

I sometimes will advise clients to contribute or host an event.

On a personal level -- and philosophically -- I advocate political building enduring relationships.

Frankly, many ways exist to create and maintain access.

-Sometimes $$ helps.  But once you open that door, the expectation becomes you will continue to give (and the solicitations and calls do not stop);  I believe Joel will testify to that.

-Sometimes access to a community or business or trade helps.

-Sometimes being a "validator" who can speak well of proposed legislation, policy or programs can make a big difference and be used with the news media and the political establishment.

-Often times, knowledge,  experience and expertise with government, public policy, politics and communications make a very big difference.  Few who do lobbying -- unless they maintain a rather large shop can offer all -- and then not from one person competent in all.

While meeting influential and connected folk at a fundraiser whether for a politician or a cause or a charity can be nice, meeting them where $$ is not at the top of the agenda is nice and there are many an event where no "entry fee" is involved and people of the political background mentioned below may be found and able to be engaged in nice chats.

I think my clients and friends (One still tells the story of his introduction to a rather famous then-elected now in another position.) appreciate those opportunities even more.

Corey B. Bearak, Esq.
Government & Public Affairs Counselor
P.O. Box 135, Glen Oaks, NY 11004
(718) 343-6779 ♦ facsimile (888) 379-3492
Bearak at aol.com ♦ CoreyBearak.com ♦ Bearak on Twitter
If you receive this email and did not request it, please reply and I will kindly remove your email address from the list.
This Internet Email Transmission may contain Confidential or Privileged Information which is intended only for use by the individual or entity for which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify this office by telephone immediately so that we can arrange for the return of the documents to us at no cost to you.
[sent from my MacBook Pro]