[Fredslist] encounter with someone fascinating

odeyraviv at aol.com odeyraviv at aol.com
Sat Oct 30 16:43:05 EDT 2010

Dear All,

Knowing that many of you are interested in books and sports I wanted to share a strange happening regarding a book and a man.  As many of us begin our second half of life, we start reading the NYT obituaries regularly.  Yesterday, I was shocked to see a very large obituary for a man man who wrote a book that I hadn't realized was considered to be one of the most important autobiographical novels of an Afro-American of all time.  George Cain wrote 'Blueschild Baby' in 1970.  We worked together, briefly, in 1989 at a church, near Times Square, on Saturday mornings.  The program was for high school basketball players interested in improving their academics while working on their basketball,too.  We both helped with basketball, but I specialized in reading and George in writing.  All I knew at that time was that he played college ball at Iona and had written a book.  In fact, he was very interested in selling the paperback edition and I bought a few.  Luckily, I still have one. The book is terrific.  Check out the obituary in the NYT of October 29 or the link

 www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/arts/29cain.html?ref=obituaries-George

 Very sad story of how a life of promise can meet such a depressing end.

Best,
Odey Raviv
Sp. Needs Group