[Fredslist] Today's NY Times includes son's research on NY Schools

Raj Goel raj at brainlink.com
Tue Oct 12 09:35:13 EDT 2010

Gail,

	You're preaching to the choir.

	I am *SHOCKED* at the lack of involvement, or hostile engagement,
PARENTS have with their kids education.

	If we got bad scores, my parents didn't yell at the teacher...they
held me accountable.

	As a parent of young kids, I see other parents arguing with teachers
about grades, behavioural reports -- and that saddens me.

	Having listened to countless NPR and WNYC stories about the state of
education, knowledge economy and the income gap between African Americans,
American-born Hispanics and Immigrants, I'm always amazed how no one holds
parents to account.

	When did schools and teachers become free childcare?

	How and when did we become a country that worships ball players, and
spits on educators, when .0001% of ball players will get professional
contracts, and 90% of college grads WILL get jobs.

	Which isn't to say that bureaucracy, administration and UFT haven't
been impediments.  I've seen good teachers get run over, and bad teachers
propped up by UFT, even at world-class schools like Bronx Science and
Stuyvesant.

- Raj

Raj Goel, CISSP
CTO, Brainlink International, Inc.
Raj at brainlink.com
917-685-7731
You run your business, and leave the IT to us.