[Fredslist] Leroy Comrie, Chair of the Land Use Committee | NYC

Sergio Fernandez de Cordova sfdecordova at FUELOUTDOOR.COM
Sat May 29 14:41:13 EDT 2010

Friends,

I hope this e-mail finds you well.  As part of my involvement in politics, I am beginning a new tradition of introducing good elected officials and candidates to my network, for just that, networking over informal cocktails and in some cases dinner.  I am going to be doing these monthly. This is NOT a fund-raising event, but an opportunity to sit, get to know, and chat with up and coming, influential political leaders.

I am doing my first one this coming Tuesday, June 1 at 7:30pm in Manhattan.  I have decided to start with New York City Council Member Leroy Comrie.  Below is some information about Leroy, and I hope you accept this invitation to attend the event.   The only cost is your dinner and drinks!

Council Member Leroy Comrie was elected to represent the 27th Council District in 2001 and was overwhelmingly re-elected in 2005 and 2009. He grew up in the Southeast Queens communities that he now represents.  Comrie attended P.S. 116, I.S. 8, Jamaica High School and the University of Bridgeport, where he developed his passion for politics and government. He is a lifelong member of Saint Alban the Martyr Episcopal Church, where he serves as a lay-person, vestryman and chalice administrator.

Council Member Comrie knows government must be responsive and provide opportunities for positive interaction with citizens. Therefore, he is focused everyday on providing quality education, guidance and support for youth; ensuring quality healthcare and services for seniors; and, creating economic development projects to create employment opportunities and affordable housing for all New Yorkers.

His Council colleagues have elected Comrie as the Deputy Majority Leader of the City Council, as well as the chairman of the Queens Delegation. He sits on the crucial Budget Negotiating and Leadership Committees. Council Member Comrie chairs the Land Use Committee, and a member of key Council Committees including Rules, Privileges & Elections, Finance, Consumer Affairs, Housing and Buildings, Cultural Affairs/Libraries and International Intergroup Relations and the Sub Committee on Zoning.

Comrie’s positive impact on city government is evident and his legislative initiatives are significant: increasing tax and property exemptions for seniors, curtailing “pay-day” loans, safety on construction sites, controlling truck traffic, developing a special database on city contracts, improving electrical and building codes, advocating to contain waste transfer stations and increasing job opportunities by establishing direct-to-work training programs. Comrie utilizes the council’s oversight role to monitor the city’s fiscal policies to highlight and improve the effectiveness and responsiveness of city agencies.

In his community, Comrie has sponsored town hall meetings, job fairs, coat and toy drives, senior events, family days and other events. He continually pressures agencies to resolve quality of life and public safety issues.

Comrie is married to Marcia Moxam Comrie. They reside in Saint Albans with their daughter and son, who both attend public schools.

Please let me know asap if you would like to attend and rsvp as I would like to limit these to a medium to small group in order for them to be effective and allow everyone the opportunity to spend time with Leroy and get to know him personally, therefore developing a personal relationship with the Councilman.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Sergio