[Fredslist] Gotham Sounds Off

Corey Bearak bearak at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 14:02:24 EDT 2010

 I really enjoy live music and seeing live concerts.  And when we go out I prefer live to someone spinning vinyl or inserting CDs that I could play at home, in my car or wherever I may be (since much of my collection also is resident on my desktop, notebook and two backup externals.

Thus, this past Saturday's foray into Brooklyn to join several Gotham mates to hear one of our own play with his band was rather special.

As some may know I recently concluded (or better recently realized that I concluded some time ago) that "It's really about the music (see http://coreybearak.com/columns/2010-03-15_It_really_is_the_Music.pdf for "It really is the material, stupid.".).

And the conclusion of the set by Tijuana Caravan, a band that includes Gotham's Alex Klein on guitar and vocals, son of tribe's founder, offered a moment that so defines what I referred to above and wrote about.  The boys - there are four in the band -- besides Alex, drummer Craig Bruck (also of Gotham), Craig's brother Darren on vocals and guitar and Josh Fagin on bass  -- played one of my fave tunes, the Derek and the Dominoes classic, "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad," in following the version of the "In Concert" double LP rather than the studio version on the reknown "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs."

While the above moment meant something special to me -- certain songs give you a rush and that Eric Clapton song is one that works that way for me, let it not take away from a band exemplary playing its own original tunes including one that I teased Fred I knew the name of from briefly peaking at Alex's website just before we left (though what brought me to the site was another matter.)

I like guitar bands.  I live a drummer who gives it all  (My fave current drummer Kenny Aronoff plays in John Fogerty's band).  I like bass that does more work in concert with a drummer to provide rhythm and a backbeat.

That's what made listening to Tijuana Caravan work for me.  Heck my wife, Shelly, liked the music.

We had to endure both the LIE and BQE to get there  (We did use Greenpoint Avenue to reach the LIE directly and avoid the BQE on the return since Fred mentioned he took that route to reach the venue.)

As to the venue, The Brooklyn Bowl, my daughter who when she does not study how to be a screenwriter at SUNY Purchase or attends many a concert works at the venerable Hot Topic chain (so she claims to know what's "in" and/ or "hot") texted Shelly, Marisa complained that we had no right to be there without her!

So imagine this scene: Great music -- live -- at a cool venue.  Your spouse (or in other cases perhaps an "S.O.") with you.  Good food and drink.  And to top everything off, you get to hang with friends you've met and friends you only know online -- but all good peeps.

And I got to see folks unadulterated -- no one in what I call uniform -- you know, those outfits called suits.

I got to see Fred in full live concert regalia sporting a cool black leather jacket.  We compared garb as I wore my Hofstra jacket but underneath I showed off for Fred my green Poco tee with its Poco horseshoe logo on the back.  Fred apparently either liked it enough to take a pic.

I also got to meet Fred's lovely Joanne who chatted with Shelly and certainly was proud of her son.

And it was real cool to meet Gothamites I only met on line or not at all.  The much-acclaimed Jack Halpern (who Fred explained with return to the Bowl for another event).  Susan Cleary who Fred into'd as the Bandit GC (just to make sure I knew who I was meeting I guess.  Scott Bloom.  Ennid and David Berger.  Vinay Sarathy. And then Fred's PT, Rosario Accardi.

Always nice to meet folks and to get to know people in purely social occasion -- particularly the kind of my liking -- just all the better!

Bottom line.  More to Gotham than meeting good folks who can help each other in business.  More than Giving is better than to receive.  How about nice folks to hang with.  I for one do not mind not chatting about work stuff  (and in my case, talking about the news of the day gets pretty close to work) so this kind of event works for me.

And another side benefit.  Last year it worked out that I attended as many concert as I did during one of my college years.  So with this show, I now banked three (ABB and Idlewheel) before real season starts in the summer when there are great shows -- including many free concerts.  I already have Tom Petty, James Taylor/ Carol King and Al Stewart in hand so this could be another good music year.

Best.

-Corey

p.s. I know that multiple pics and videos of Saturday's festivities are circulating out there.

Corey B. Bearak, Esq.
Government & Public Affairs Counselor
PO Box 135, Glen Oaks, NY  11004
(718) 343-6779 * fax: (718) 225-3366
Bearak at aol.com  CoreyBearak,com  Bearak onTwitter

If you receive this email and did not request it, please reply  and I will kindly remove your email address from the list.

ThisInternet Email Transmission may contain Confidential or PrivilegedInformation which is intended only for use by the individual or entityfor which the transmission is addressed.  If you are not the intendedrecipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination,copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify thisoffice by telephone immediately so that we can arrange for the returnof the documents to us at no cost to you.