[Fredslist] Lew Tesser - Bowery Arts and Science

clamal at lamal-law.com clamal at lamal-law.com
Tue Mar 9 17:59:21 EST 2010

Hi folks,

Just a brief note to mention that I have been honored, by way of fellow
Gothamite Lew Tesser, to be elected to the board of directors of Bowery Arts
and Science (www.boweryartsandscience.org).  BAS is an organization
primarily focused on the preservation and development of the arts of the
spoken word and the oral tradition, including presenting poetry slams and
performances of African griot but extending to the use of poetry as a
therapeutic tool for engaging adults with Alzheimers..

BAS is an organization that is deeply committed to outreach and its local
community (the Lower East Side Girls Club recently took over the storefront
of BAS’s main venue, Bowery Poetry Club, where they are running a café to
help fund their own programs).

BAS was founded by the poet Robert Holman  Other collaborators and members
of its board include such highly regarded writers as Sapphire (the author of
the novel of which the  movie “Precious” was an adaptation) and the poet
Anne Waldman, as well as the artists Jim Dine, James Siena and Kiki Smith.
I feel I’m in a bit over my head.

I was first introduced to BAS through fellow Gotham member Lew Tesser, whose
wife has been involved with BAS’s publishing arm, Bowery Books. Lew
suggested that Bob Holman give me a call when they were trying to think
through a corporate law issue.  Thanks, Lew.  This has been a real honor.

Chris

Christopher T. Lamal

Lamal Law Office

1040 Avenue of the Americas