[Fredslist] Calling All Lawyers - Ownership of Access Rights

Caryn Lilling CLilling at mglappeals.com
Tue Jun 1 11:38:07 EDT 2010

An issue has arisen in one my cases and I am in search of an answer.

I represent an insurance carrier that is questioning their
responsibility to pay a third party claim for loss of use of a pond
arising out of the breach of a dam.  The dam essentially was responsible
for forming/containing the pond.

Question --

The pond is shared by the owners of land adjacent to it.  If a tax or
fee is paid to maintain the common area,  is that tax based upon
ownership of a portion of the common area, or is the common area owned
by the Town and the tax is paid simply for the right to access or use
the common area?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

-Caryn

Caryn L. Lilling

Mauro Goldberg & Lilling LLP

60 Cutter Mill Road, Suite 200

Great Neck, New York  11021

[T] 516.487.5800

[F] 516.487.5811

www.mglappeals.com <http://www.mglappeals.com>

NOTICE

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above.
It may contain confidential information that is privileged or that
constitutes attorney work product. If you are not the intended
or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any