[Fredslist] Need Advice re: David Lerner Associates

Joel Schnur joel at schnurassociates.com
Wed Feb 24 11:12:23 EST 2010

Dear all:

I agree with Lucas and take a totally different view as well based upon what
my son, who has been in Finance for 13 years.

Here is a rewrite of some of his points:

With no details it is impossible to really tell, but on the simple surface
people should first ask the how much they know about investing. have any of
you made money in the markets in the last 10 years and beat inflation and
comparable indices. Investing 101 is, what is my return over the risk free
rate of return with similar time line and what are my comparable investments
with a range of risk profiles. If it is such a great deal why aren't hedge
funds or large banks buying this investment and leveraging it 10x to make
80%? They can buy a GNMA fund with leverage and make a better return with
less risk and more diversification.

Ask a simple question.

If I invested 3 years ago with $100k and assuming I got the annual payout of
8% per year ( I assume on the principal investment but that would be
impossible unless it is a bond) but I need to sell my shares today what
would the value of my account be after commissions? Do not only look at the
8% and forget about the principal investment as there is no public market
for pricing. Anyone heard the term Madoff. Lerner is running a great scheme
and making a lot of money off people bc they are good salespeople but you
have got to ask yourself if the return is so great why is lerner even
selling it to anyone retail? They should be running a hedge fund and
leverage the return and keep all the money for themselves. You have to ask
why aren't they to understand exactly how they make money since they are so
eager to give it away to everyone else.

Joel

___________________________

Joel Schnur