[Fredslist] An Open Letter to Gotham Righties

Gil Effron gil at strategiesforgrowth.net
Mon Feb 1 08:12:03 EST 2010

An Open Letter to Gotham Righties:

When Fred first asked me if I would coordinate the upcoming Lefty
Group meeting at 12:30 p.m. at the Friars Club on Thursday, February
18, it didn’t take but a moment for me to jump on board and agree to
help.

After all, I am left-handed and I did attend the last two Lefty Group
events. I enjoyed the camaraderie and the fun. And, as mentioned in my
initial invitation, it was a truly pleasure to sit around a crowded
table where lefties and righties were not bumping elbows. We talked
and laughed about the challenges left-handers face in our society
where only about 10 to 12 percent of the population is left-handed.
And we shared stories of our various left-handed adventures, both good
and bad. (Contrary to popular opinion, we did not speak about righties
behind their backs –– nor were we derogatory or condescending in any
way.)

Little did I know that this upcoming event would create such upheaval
throughout all of Gotham.

-- Currently, I’m openly being shunned on the subway.

-- I’m receiving at least a dozen anonymous emails every day from
people I barely know urging me to “give up the fight for left-handed
separatism” and learn to use my right hand.

-- I’m receiving hang-ups on my home phone throughout the night.
(Thank heaven for caller ID. It’s someone named “Blocked.”)

-- Fred and I are being threatened with lawsuits for discrimination
against righties.

-- Plus, and most painfully, we are being labeled as acting
“unGothamly” and are being blamed for “creating conflict within the
tribe.”

As I write this, a small crowd has gathered outside the main entrance
to my apartment building in Riverdale. From the 16th  floor I’m barely
able to make out the signs they’re carrying. But I think some say,
“Righties Rule.” Another says, “Tear down that conflict wall.” But
from this distance I can’t be sure… and NO WAY am I going to go
outside to take a closer look. I'll stay home today.

In addition, since posting the invitation, both Fred and I have been
receiving a host of ideas and recommendations as to how and why we
could, should, and would be able to include righties. Here are just a
few of the over 129 ideas that have come our way from righties:

n     Righties allowed to attend if they promise not to eat… but just
to listen

n     Righties allowed to attend, but sit at a different table

n     Righties allowed to attend because they’re married to someone
who is left-handed

n     Righties allowed to attend if they would try to eat left-handed,
regardless of the mess it could create

The argument that we have the greatest difficulty dealing with is the
one of ambidexterity.

Each of us is ambidextrous, at least to some degree. There are times
that I pick up the TV remote with my right hand, because that’s where
my right-handed wife left it. But where exactly would we draw the
line? 50-50… 40-60… 80-20? It’s a tough call.

Fortunately, as I’m writing this, “bribes” are beginning to arrive
promising everything from cash to vacations in the Bahamas. While they
are tempting (especially the vacation in the Bahamas), I don’t think
that would be Gothamly.

Over the weekend, Fred and I met secretly at an undisclosed location
(the site of many secret meetings).

Trying to hold our ground that the purpose of the Lefty Group is not
to shun righties, but “to bring together those of us who are joined by
a common cause,” we debated the issue of how to include righties… and,
if we did, how we would go about deciding which righties could attend…
and how many… where they would sit (because we don’t want bumping
elbows)… and a number of other issues.

We entertained the notion of a random drawing… a contest of skill such
as crossing Madison Avenue during rush hour carrying a boiled egg in a
teaspoon –– left handed, of course… or a competition in which those
who wished to attend would write an essay (100 words or less)
entitled, “I’m a rightie, but I would like to attend the Lefty Group
anyway because…”

At the end, we determined that we could not and would not make this
decision alone (especially given so much pressure from both sides) and
that we would seek the opinion of Gotham at-large to answer the
question du jour: Should righties be allowed to attend the Lefty
Group… and, if so, without causing further discrimination, pain, and
anguish to righties, how would we choose who… and how many?

In the meantime, we will continue to accept reservations for the Lefty
Group meeting from LEFTIES ONLY. Please follow the link below to
register. Perhaps the problem will resolve itself when the room fills
with lefties. HURRY.

Respectfully,

Gil Effron

http://www.gothamnetworking.com/events/eventDetail.php?eventId=1878&eventType=1

For additional information contact, contact me at…
Gil at strategiesforgrowth.net
347-920-3272

Gil Effron
Strategies For Growth