[Fredslist] Drugs from Canada

IrisWolinsky at aol.com IrisWolinsky at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 16:10:17 EST 2010

Hi  Networkers,
A  friend who's ordered face creams thru a Canadian pharmacy went to order
an Rx  for some pills (I don't know what for) and was told the generic,
which is  available for much less, is made in India, then purchased  in bulk by
pharmacies in the UK and elsewhere, from where the Canadians get them.  She
 was surprised, so I thought, who else to consult (no pun intended) than
this  network.  Does anyone know or have experience with such things, and any
advice?  In particular we are both curious about the degree to which
generics for commonly used drugs are manufactured beyond the US, Canada or
Europe, having never thought about it before.  Maybe something about the  several
sales transactions before they get to Canada was also  unexpected.  We
certainly are aware that many countries  including India prize education and
have many highly trained professionals  in all areas.  And I suppose the system
of several sales to get to various  destinations may not be uncommon for
certain items.  I just  phoned my own pharmacist who said their generics can
come  from various countries, but as they buy through a  wholesaler, they're
more familiar with the manufacturer's company name  than country of origin.
Perhaps the proper take-away is that if  pharmacies in several countries
are buying and selling a generic within and  beyond their borders, it is tried
and true.  Maybe this is a  question for a health professional... but any
info welcome.

Thanks  very much-

Iris

Iris  Wolinsky