[Fredslist] legal question

Lee Ryder leeryder2 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 12:11:22 EDT 2010

Hi: I have a quick legal question concerning my right to withdraw a work (in this case a design I did) if I don't wish have the person use it and I have refused to accept payment.

My invoices indicate the no rights to the work are transfered until payment in full is received and that payment is a license for use. Copyright remains with the designer.

The client claims that he has the right to use the work regardless of whether I decline payment and want to withdraw the work. He claims that he has contracted with me for the work, has offered payment and has the right to use the work even if I don't accept payment.

Can anyone let me know their thoughts?

Lee Ryder
304 West 75th Street
New York, NY 10023