[Fredslist] Help: My Sales Pipeline is Constipated

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Thu Sep 10 21:46:47 EDT 2009

Hi:

I got some very favorable feedback on this article. I think it is
relevant for many folks---thought I would share:

The analysts are, in increasing numbers, starting to tout the end of
the recession, but for most of us, it still seems quite slow out
there. Even if you’re the most talented salesperson, you probably have
noticed that an annoying number of your prospects are stuck in your
pipeline. Ok, it’s not the most polite way to phrase this, but you
could be suffering from a case of sales constipation. No, a swig of
milk of magnesia isn’t going to do the job here, but there are
strategies to get you moving along again. Here’s how:

Keep Filling and Replenishing Your Pipeline
You want to make sure that your pipeline is continuously being filled
and replenished with qualified prospects. By always having individuals
at different stages of the sales process, you’ll consistently have
some that are coming through as new business.

Stay On Their Grid
The sales cycle has become much longer for almost everyone. It can be
easy to drop off of a prospect’s radar if you’re not diligent about
your touch-point management. Fine-tune a program that utilizes phone,
email, snail mail, as well as the three I’s – invitations,
introductions, and information.

Don’t Give Up
Patience is needed more than ever right now. Yes, you might feel like
throwing in the towel with a prospect who seems to relish sitting on
the fence and stringing you along. You might even feel like expressing
your personal opinion to them about their inability to make a
decision. However, keep this in mind. You will never reclaim any of
your return on time if you give up. So, hang in there. You’ll be glad
that you did.

Realize That It Might Not Be the Economy
The recession has become a great excuse for prospects who just don’t
want to tell you that they didn’t see value in what you were offering.
Find out if this is what’s causing the stall. If it is a cash flow
issue, you might need to hang on a little longer. If it’s really a
problem with how you presented your product or service, you might need
to refine your own strategies and techniques.

Don’t fall into the trap of blaming everything on the economy. There
are salespeople who are successfully acquiring new business each and
every day. By following these four steps, you’ll help jumpstart your
pipeline to get you back on track as the recession subsides.

Adrian Miller
Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288 (office)
516-445-1135 (cell)