[Fredslist] A Gotham Thanksgiving Story

James Periconi JPericoni at Periconi.com
Wed Nov 25 19:41:00 EST 2009

Dear Gothamites,

I have a very happy Gotham Thanksgiving tale  - just happened today! -
to share with all of you!

About five years ago, Fred Klein introduced me to a fine young man,
somewhat lost but loveable and intelligent, by the name of Jeff Nosanov.
Jeff needed a job.  I needed an administrative assistant in my law firm,
especially one who knew computers, as Jeff did.  We hired him.

Well, Jeff (who worked for a year or so for us) just visited me today,
in New York for a few days from his apartment in Los Angeles.  He
gratefully told me that he was inspired by our firm not merely to go to
law school (which I knew he had done) but to stretch and develop a
specialty - as I had 30 years ago, in environmental law - that hardly
existed.  In law school, Jeff developed a passion what seemed to be an
improbably dream: to do SPACE LAW.  It was a field that didn't exist
then in any way, shape or form.

By the time he finished the conventional three-year law school program
(at New York Law School), in the spring of 2008, another law school -
the U. of Nebraska Law School - had in fact just developed the first
masters program in law (LLM) in Space Law!

Jeff was the very first graduate of the program (among the seven
matriculating), this past spring, because he got his thesis completed
before any of the other students, later published it (Astropolitics,
Volume 7, Issue 3 September 2009 , pages 206 - 227), and has just
received not one but two job offers, at a time when top law school grads
are struggling to find any legal employment. Jeff has been offered a job
as a compliance officer at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which is
connected to NASA, is the lead US center for robotic exploration of the
solar system, and which conducts major programs in space-based Earth
sciences.

So, Jeff - who held out to do what he began to dream of doing as a
result of the help he received from Gotham lo those five or so years ago
- will be part of helping our nation's space program.   You have never
seen such an excited and appreciative young man!   And it all started
with Gotham!

		Jim Periconi