[Fredslist] An alert to credit card users

Sherry Rivera mortgagelady500 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:54:39 EDT 2009

David thanks for sharing this info.  It makes me more aware.  Along those lines I will share a recent experience of a client so we can all be more aware.  He got dupped by one of those "free" samples, just give your credit card for shipping charges.  He started getting regular shipments of the item.  He called and got what seemed to be reasonable responses but when the next credit card bill came there was the bill again.  He ended allowing this to happen for several months before he finally called the credit card company who issued a new card and he started trying to repair the damage.

The result of this seemingly minor error is that his credit score dropped over 75 points, he is no longer eligible for the loan for his company that he was eligible for (I am trying to rectify the situation) American Express dropped his card limit from $20,000 to $500 etc.

Please be aware that the credit card companies are in overdrive in acting defensively or offensively.  There are many rumors and many things that are true.  Ex American Express will drop you and or lower the line if they check your credit and see you start shopping at WalMart if that is not the calibur of store you used before.  Fact for sure is that the credit companies are checking your credit much more FREQUENTLy looking for "tell tale" signs of trouble.  Any late payment or higher balance on any credit card brings their watchfull eye and often some action.

My client was too lax about the 2 situations that happened to him.  In the one I described, he should have called his credit card company immediately and complained of a fraudulent charge.  He didn't pay it as the company billing him said they would credit him and instead kept charging.  His credit card company just marked him late each month he did not pay as they do not know of the circumstances.  At any sign of a question, call your credit card company to explain the problem.  This can help you avoid the sequence of bad events possible that will effect your credit standing.

His second mistake was that when he cancelled his Verizon wireless acct they charged him some ungodly amount.  He thought his one year contract was over and he was right and Verizon should prove they were right that the contract about the contact not being expired.  That was ok in the OLD days.  Now you need to handle it immediately no matter how right you are and how wrong they are.  He now has a collection account against him within a couple months and this too has affected his score.

Sherry Rivera

Guardian National Funding

100 North Village Avenue

Rockville Centre, NY 11570