[Fredslist] My Annual July 4th Message

Fred Klein fklein at kleinzelman.com
Thu Jul 2 11:27:47 EDT 2009

Somethings never get old and I believe that the below will be eternally
relevant:

  Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, members of the committee which drafted

  our magnificent Declaration of Independence, both died 50 years from the

  date of the July 4th 1776 declaration on July 4th, 1826.

  Jefferson's last words were "Is it the fourth?". He died at 1220 PM.

  Adams survived until 6:00 PM that same day and his last words were

  "Thomas Jefferson survives." Without email or cell phone how could he

  know he was in error.

  What does survive is the freedom they sought and secured. No matter what

  our present situation is at home and in the world, it is a great country!

  Have a wonderful Fourth of July, and Happy Birthday America!

  The above is my annual July 4th message and last year Gothamite Charlie

  Schreiber added that in 1831 James Monroe, our Nation's 5th President,

  also died on the 4th of July. In 1850 our 12th President, Zachary Taylor

  participated in July 4th activities at the Washington monument. It was a

  blistery day and the president became quite ill. He died five days later

  on July 9th.

  I suppose I should also add that July 4th is also New York Yankee owner

  George "The Boss" Steinbrenner's birthday.

Jane Jacobs adds:

1939 - Lou Gehrig, recently diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,
tells a crowd at Yankee Stadium that he considers himself "The luckiest man
on the face of the earth" as he announces his retirement from major league
baseball.

1966 - President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Freedom of Information Act
into United States law. The act goes into effect the next year.

1976 - Israeli commandos raid Entebbe airport in Uganda, rescuing all of
the passengers and crew of an Air France jetliner seized by Palestinian
terrorists.

Birthday of Meyer Lansky, Ann Landers and Dear Abby, Leona Helmsley, Eva
Marie Saint, Gina Lolabrigida; date of death of Eva Gabor and Barry White

Does anyone have any other 7/4 trivia?

Happy Fireworks Day!

__________________________________
Fred C. Klein
Klein Zelman Rothermel LLP
485 Madison Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 935-6020
fklein at legal.org
http://www.kleinzelman.com
http://www.gothamnetworking.com

***This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. Secs 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This e-mail, and any
documents attached, may contain confidential information belonging to the
sender which is protected by the work product and/or other privileges.

This email is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named, and may
contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error,  please delete the email and notify the sender if we are
sending you  materials in error.

Circular 230 Disclosure Notice. To insure compliance with requirements
imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any tax advice
that may be contained in this communication (including any attachments) is
not intended or  written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of
voiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or any state or local tax
law to which a  governmental requirement similar to Circular 230
applies.***