[Fredslist] Joel Schnur: Extraordinary Connector, Savvy Traveler in the Corridors of Power

Bambe Levine bambe at bambepr.com
Wed Feb 11 17:43:46 EST 2009

I know he takes his weekly bath...so much for being dirty...we love
Joel...bambe levine

From: Steven Skyles-Mulligan <steven at evokestrategies.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:44:28 -0500
To: <fredslist at gothamnetworking.com>
Conversation: Joel Schnur:  Extraordinary Connector, Savvy Traveler in the
Corridors of Power
Subject: [Fredslist] Joel Schnur:  Extraordinary Connector, Savvy Traveler
in the Corridors of Power

Every so often you meet a Gotham member who seems to do a lot of good for a
lot of people, but in a way that¹s tough to explain.  Joel Schnur is one of
those people; he¹s a real connector who can make things happen.  One snowy
evening last week I had the opportunity to attend a ³meet and greet² Joel
put together with Julissa Ferreres, a community activist who is running for
an open seat on the New York City Council from Queens.  The candidate was
unusually well-spoken, thoughtful and candid (I¹ve seen a lot of such
candidates having been politically active in the City for about a decade),
which speaks well of Joel¹s discernment.  Moreover, the range of people in
the room was amazing:  fellow tribe members, long-time politicos, business
leaders, community activists of all stripes and even an orthodox rabbi.
These people were from all different parts of the City and of all
backgrounds.  Joel put everyone at ease and created an atmosphere for
passionate, creative discussion.  I wouldn¹t be surprised if some people
made some business connections.  Perhaps best of all, Joel spent a moment or
two with every individual, making each feel in turn as if his or her
presence was the only thing that mattered.

If you have an opportunity to attend one of Joel¹s events, take it.  And if
you hear Joel recommend a candidate or policy position, pay attention.  He
knows what he¹s talking about and brings both his head and his heart to his
work.  If you need help getting attention from a New York City or State
elected official, Joel is the right person to contact; he is one of the few
lobbyists I¹ve ever seen lawmakers greet with a  genuine smile.

Finally, in spite of what my good friend Bambe may say, Joel is not a dirty
old man; he isn¹t old at all.

Steven Skyles-Mulligan
Executive Director
Evoke Strategies