[Fredslist] YOU MUST SEE THIS NEW PLAY - GET TICKETS BEFORE IT OFFICIALLY OPENS

JanPresent at aol.com JanPresent at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 13:41:28 EST 2009

Lynn Nottage's new play, "Ruined" officially opens next Tuesday night, will
be reviewed on Wednesday. It is at the City Center theater (the little one not
 the big one) on West 55th Street, Row J is the last row.

You don't have to take my word for it. Read what Variety said when it  played
in Chicago:

Lynn Nottage takes on one of playwriting's toughest challenges --  the
dramatization of distant, gruesome political realities -- in her elegant and
eloquent new work, "Ruined." Depicting the horrific toll sexual violence has  taken
on women in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nottage balances the
inexplicably awful with the ordinary, and even, in a carefully constrained way,  the
hopeful. In director Kate Whoriskey's vibrant production, premiering at
Chicago's Goodman on its way to an Off Broadway slot with Manhattan Theater  Club,
Nottage values deeply honest characterizations over histrionic expressions  of
outrage, to emotionally wrenching effect.

I believe this piece has Pulitzer written all over it. One word of advice.
Get as close to the front of the audience as possible. The actors do use
African accents and you don't want to miss a word the beautiful dialogue.

Disclosure: Yes, I know do the playwright, and her family, but I would  not
be taking my time or yours if I didn't believe every word of what I have  said.

Jane W.  Present
799 Park Avenue
Apartment 14 C
New York, NY 10021