[Fredslist] Ear to the Earth

Joel Chadabe joel at emf.org
Sat Dec 12 14:18:31 EST 2009

“Modern ecologists may have reached a limit on how effectively they
can convey messages to the public, and they may now need to draw upon
the emotional vibrancy offered by the arts.” - Mark Moffett,
ecologist, prize-winning photographer for National Geographic

I am a member of Gotham Green and the founder of Ear to the Earth, an
international network of musicians, composers, sound artists,
scientists, environmental activists, and members of the public who are
concerned about the environment. Won’t you please consider making a
tax-deductible, end-of-the-year contribution to our cause?  Ear to the
Earth is a program of the Electronic Music Foundation, a New York
registered charity. To find out more about Ear to the Earth, please go
here:

http://www.eartotheearth.org/

To join, please visit:

https://www.cdemusic.org/EMF/Join-Donate.cfm

Environmental sound art can inspire in us an emotional involvement
with the environmental issues that we face today.  We are all aware
that we are facing global disruption on a scale that will profoundly
affect our lives and the lives of our children. Sometimes we ask
ourselves, well, what can we do?

Here is something we can do. We can focus our attention. We can become
involved. We can exchange sounds and images to convey the places they
describe, and with those sounds and images, we can exchange thoughts
and ideas and feel emotional ties. It is moving to hear the song of
the Kauai 'O'o, an extinct Hawaiian bird, and realize that it will
never again be sung.

Thank you for support,

Joel Chadabe

Joel Chadabe