[Fredslist] Kudos To Gil Effron

Michael_Millis at msn.com Michael_Millis at msn.com
Thu Oct 9 14:39:19 EDT 2008

Hello along the network,

I hope everyone is having a good week.

Just a brief message to acknowledge Gil Effron, co-chair of Gotham SOLO. Gil was a
panelist Tuesday evening for "Marketing Your Business in a Down Economy," which was
presented by the Asian-American Entrepreneurs Network at the Con Ed Building at 4
Irving Place.

The overall message for the evening was that the current economic upheaval actually
presents great opportunity for small businesses. Applying a bunker mentality and cutting
back on marketing is the wrong strategy to follow. Small businesses should be doing a lot
more marketing. Using social media and other online resources, it can be very inexpensive
to do so.

Several times, Gil remarked, "The strong will survive. The others will fade away." I take
this to refer to--and please correct me if I'm wrong, Gil--just how much fortitude a business
owner puts into wanting to succeed, starting from wherever they happen to be right now.

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a really bumpy ride. But, as I am sure all of Tuesday
evening's panelists would agree, the recovery is going to come from small business, not big
business. Small businesses can apply creative, outside-the-box solutions to course-correct
a lot faster than big businesses can. Voids are being created that small businesses can step
into and stand out in.

Thanks very much to Gil for his insight and suggestions.

All the very best for new success, Gotham.

Mike Millis
MX2 DESIGN FORCE
Special Events Design, Production, and Coordination

Bringing The Dazzle To Special Events

(718) 434-7879