[Fredslist] Kathy Canfield Shepard needs your help!!!

Kathy Canfield Shepard kathy at canfielddesignstudios.com
Fri Oct 3 11:02:13 EDT 2008

Dear friends,

I am writing to you all to ask for your help with a tenant landlord-
problem we are having that is really ruining our lives at the moment.

My husband and I are rent-stabilized tenants (my husband of 32 years
and I of 17 years) at London Terrace Towers, a cooperative under a non-
eviction plan since the late 1980s. My husband has been offered
employment for the next year and a half out of state. Back when we
first heard of this opportunity we asked our rental office right away
(Elliman Property Management) if we could have a roommate to help
cover the rent while he is out of town and I remain here for most of
the time,  visiting him on weekends and different weeks here and
there. They said yes, and we could come get our roommate a building
ID. We did find someone to be our guest/roommate at that time. Back on
September 16th, we called to arrange for her ID, and the woman in the
office put us on the line with another person in the office who said
if we had a guest or roommate staying with us while we are not here,
it could only be for thirty days. In the past, on numerous occasions,
we have been allowed to have guests in our apartment while we have
been away. And a close reading of our current lease shows us no reason
why I should not be allowed to have such a guest.

Then, on September 18, to enable our guest to be here longer than
thirty days while we are not here, my husband sent a letter of intent
to London Terrace Associates - following all of the stipulations of
New York Real Property Law Section 226-b - indicating our intent to
sublease our apartment to our guest/roommate, a gainfully employed
professional musician who is our friend (our reason for subletting
being that my husband is taking temporary employment on the West Coast
for the rest of our current lease). We have received no communication
from the landlord within the initial 10-day period stipulated by
Section 226-b (when they can ask further questions about our request)
nor have we within the days since then. They are supposed to inform us
whether or not we are granted our request within 30 days of our
original letter being sent.

Last night (October 2nd) after the closing of the building's
management office, the landlord told the lobby attendants that our
guest was not to be admitted to the building in our absence, going
against everything they had previously said.

Yesterday, we also moved out many - but not all - of our possessions,
and we were scheduled to fly to the West Coast this morning. My
husband did leave this morning, but I now am forced to stay here to be
in the apartment with our guest full-time, so she has a place to stay,
until at least the end of October, when we will know the status of our
sub-lease.

According to our building's superintendant, the sponsor's
representative informed him that we are not allowed to have guests
while we are away.  However, it is our understanding that - as a legal
rent-stabilized tenants - we are not bound by the Sponsor's rules but
rather by the rent laws of New York State, which include our right to
sublet my apartment for up to two years (if all the stipulations of
NYRPL Section 226-b are followed, as we have done).  Moreover, we find
nothing in the laws or the terms of our current lease to prevent us
from having a guest in the absence of myself and my husband, as we
have often done in the past.

Can anyone help us with this issue, or know what legal recourse we
have? We have done everything we should have done and have been very
honest and up front with the management office at every turn. But they
are making our lives very miserable (not surprising from what we all
hear about New York City landlord-tenant issues).

Thanks everyone – please call me at 212-243-5295 or email me at kathy at canfielddesignstudios.com
  if you know of anything we can do, so I can join my husband on the
West Coast as a soon as possible.

Kathy Canfield Shepard

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Call us for a free consultation!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kathy Canfield Shepard
President

Canfield Design Studios, Inc.
Web Design & Development  •  Print, Logo & Identity Design
Creative Marketing Solutions  •  Consulting & Training
http://www.canfielddesignstudios.com

The Swimming Paintbrush
Unique Watercolor Cards & Gifts
http://www.swimmingpaintbrush.com

Watercolors by Kathy Canfield Shepard
http://www.canfieldwatercolors.com

BEFORE OCTOBER 1st:
410 West 24th Street, No. 6L
New York, NY 10011

AFTER OCTOBER 1st:
2887 College Avenue, Suite No. 342
Berkeley, CA 94705

TEL: 212-243-5295

CELL: 917-579-0672
(IMPORTANT: Please also leave a message at 212-243-5295 if you leave a
message on the cell phone voice mail.)

EMAIL: kathy at canfielddesignstudios.com