[Fredslist] NYC Gotham Wine Dinner

pnapolitano at vzw.blackberry.net pnapolitano at vzw.blackberry.net
Fri Nov 28 14:38:32 EST 2008

Hello Wine Geeks!

I am finally getting around to organizing the second Gotham wine tasting. This time it will be in NYC. The tentative date is Tuesday January 20th. I will limit it to 16 as last time, which worked pretty well. Please let me know if you would like to attend, but as before it will be first come, first served. Last time it filled up pretty fast.

My apologies, but I cannot find the list of people who requested I put them on the list for this dinner back in the spring when we had the Long Island tasting. Please resend your request.

As before, I will look to have the dinner (about 6 courses) at about $125 per person with tax and tip included. I will bring some rare wines from my cellar and I will purchase some others. I am trying to keep the wine cost to about $125 a head also. Please bring a separate check, or cash, for that please.

I will do my best to explain what each wine region offers and what to expect in the wines we are tasting. We will present the wines in a single "blind" format. That is, each wine will be concealed and unveiled after a little tasting and discussion. In that way there is no bias and you will learn to trust your palate and not to be influenced by the price of the wine or its label.

Each wine flight will have the same grape varietal, but the wine will be from a different part of the world. The Cabernet flight will have one California (relatively soft and forward), one from Bordeaux (age worthy and complex) and maybe one from Italy (a cross between California and Bordeaux with a distinctly different flavor profile). The Chardonnay flight will have a California Chardonnay against a White Burgundy. Again, same grape, but distinctly different winemaking techniques in regard to fermentation, use of oak etc.

I look forward to seeing you all.

Paul

Paul Napolitano
Director, Environmental Division