[Fredslist] (PROMO): Top Ten Tips for Effective Sales

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Fri Nov 7 06:39:59 EST 2008

Hi folks:  Wrote this article for a magazine and thought Gotham might
benefit from some of these quick tips.  And by the way, this is what
I do. I come into your company and do a tune-up of what's working and
what is not as regards sales techniques, sales strategy, marketing
and sales integration, etc. If I can't help I tell you. If I can help
I do and don't leave until what was broken is fixed. Simple. To the
point. Blatant (Shameless plug for my book: The Blatant Truth: 50
Ways to Sales Success). Idea, if you don't want to talk to me maybe
you want to get the book. $14.95 and a quick, fun, informative read.
Link is below.

It's all about options.

We’re all crossing our fingers these days and hoping for a better
economic environment. It’s been more than a little scary for many of
us. However, even during these tough times, effective salespeople are
acquiring new customers and making sales. How? Here are the top ten
tips for effective sales that will bring you success regardless of
the state of the economy.

1. Know Your Product or Service
It seems straightforward, doesn’t it? Well, it is, but unfortunately,
there are far too many salespeople who, for one reason or another,
have been trying to sell without having a good grasp of what they’re
selling. These individuals can have a certain degree of success in a
good economy, but they’re the first to fail when the going gets
tough. You need to know what you’re selling from top to bottom. You
should have every feature and benefit on the tip of your tongue. If
you don’t, you need to make this your top priority.

2. Know Your Target Market
Knowing who to sell your product or service to is just as important
as knowing what you’re selling. You need to pinpoint who it is that
buys what you’re selling and target them specifically. This is
especially true during an economic slowdown when you might not have
as much to spend on advertising and prospecting.

3. Know Your Competition and Your Competitive Advantage
Your competition is always there, but they’re bound to be more
ruthless when there are fewer customers. Start by listing your
obvious competitors and then dig a little deeper to discover any
others who might be sneaking under your radar. Then, figure out what
makes your business different from theirs, and how you can stand
apart. Evaluate obvious advantages like cost, features, quality, or
distribution, and don’t underestimate other advantages such as
location, reputation, or social responsibility.

4. Be a “Proactive” Business Developer
Now is not the time to be waiting for your phone to ring. Make your
own opportunities by networking, advertising, making calls, and
pounding the pavement. The more you reach out, the more you’ll get in
return.

5. Mine the Gold in Your Existing Client Database
Don’t underestimate the value of your existing clients. When business
is slow, use the opportunity to call your “regulars” to inform them
of new offerings, specials, and volume discounts. You’ll probably be
surprised just how much business you’ve been leaving on the table by
not contacting them sooner!

6. Don’t Leave Business on the Table- Cross-sell Your Products and
Services

This goes hand-in-hand with the previous tip. Always offer your
clients other products or services related to whatever they’re
buying. As long as what you’re offering is relevant, they’ll
appreciate your suggestions, and they might take you up on what
you’re offering, as well.

7. Track Progress and Results

Without tracking your sales processes and results, you will never
know what works and what doesn’t. There are plenty of easy-to-use
customer relationship management (CRM) software programs that can
help you monitor your sales efforts from start to finish. Trust me.
They’re well worth the investment.

8. Learn From Your Mistakes
Have you had difficulties with a certain market segment? Or, have you
been burned by one particular customer repeatedly? Well, there’s much
to learn from these situations. Don’t keep hammering away at someone
who isn’t buying from you. Learn from these mistakes, and move on –
quickly.

9. Be Persistent
The old adage, “sales is a numbers game” is true, especially when
business is slow. Persistency is one of those traits that is common
among all successful salespeople. A “don’t give up” mentality is
truly one of the most valuable attributes that you can have.

10. Enjoy the Process
Let’s face it. Not everyone is cut out to be a salesperson. Selling
should be fun. You should enjoy the challenge and feel the thrill
each time you acquire a new customer. If you feel this way about
sales, be grateful. There are many others who dread their jobs and
would prefer to be doing something else. So, show your enthusiasm,
enjoy the process of selling, and succeed.

Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288
516-445-1135 (cell)
www.adrianmiller.com
http://www.adrianmiller.com/blog/

http://www.askadrianmiller.com/

www.mysalesquestion.com/

See my book: The Blatant Truth: 50 Ways to Sales Success" at
http://www.theblatanttruth.com/

Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/amst

"What if we train them and they leave? What if we don't train them
and they stay?"