[Fredslist] (Promo) Read my article about storytelling in NJ CEO Magazine

anna at lieberbrewster.com anna at lieberbrewster.com
Fri May 9 14:10:56 EDT 2008

Hi along the network,

Here¹s a copy of an article I wrote for ³NJ CEO². Those who attended my
Gotham Seminar will recognize the Jenson quote. Enjoy!

Capture Me

By Anna Lieber

³A big part of a CEO's job is to motivate people to reach certain goals. To
do that, he or she must engage their emotions, and the key to their hearts
is story.²

­ Robert McKee, Harvard Business Review, June 2003

As McKee has observed, we are moving from the head to the heart in business,
a response to the world around us. There¹s a resurgence of the ancient art
of storytelling. While electronic communications rule our days, humans need
interaction and myth. We learn through meaning and narrative.

Stories create emotional connections and reinforce our values. Consumers
want products and services that are ethically sound and support values they
believe in.

Rolf Jenson writes about this paradigm shift in ³The Dream Society: How the
Coming Shift from Information to Imagination Will Transform Your Business:²

³In Denmark, eggs from free-range hens have conquered over 50% of the
market. Consumers do not want hens to live their lives in small, confining
cages. They are willing to pay 15-20% more for the story about animal
ethics. This is classic dream society logic. Both kinds of eggs are similar
in quality, but consumers prefer eggs with the better story. Stories speak
directly to the heart rather than the brain.²

We are all storytellers. It¹s not something we need to learn. We do it every
day. People have been telling stories since we lived in caves and sat around
campfires exchanging hunting tales. Just think about the legends, fables and
fairy tales we tell our children.

Look to Hollywood for inspiration. Every sporting event, movie and
television program reinforces the search for heroes and winners in the
popular culture. And business is a contact sport. Witness the popularity of
³The Apprentice,² a series devoted to stories about two teams competing on
big brand projects.

Stories help us communicate. We can use stories to help us understand
complex information, and make it human and accessible.

Inspire and engage us with a story, which demonstrates your brand vision.
Add emotional value to your products and services. Write a case history
describing how you saved the day by resolving a client¹s problem. Tell a
story describing your new green product or a worthy cause you support.

Use stories on your web site, your blog, or your brochure. Stories are
memorable and compelling because they engage our imagination. True stories
demonstrate your proven ability to think creatively and solve problems. Stop
selling and start telling ­ capture me with a story.

About Anna Lieber
Lieber Brewster, Inc.
212-874-0548
www.lieberbrewster.com

Anna Lieber works with entrepreneurial companies, corporate leaders and
their teams on strategic marketing, training and brand-building initiatives
designed to maximize visibility, market share and grow.

2008 Copyright Lieber Brewster, All rights reserved

www.njceomagazine.com/articles/nj-ceo-web-edition/