[Fredslist] looking for NYC engineer expert to assist with NYC illegal deck case

Gail Blasie blaze at cal.net
Wed Mar 26 15:29:35 EDT 2008

Dear all:

I am looking for an expert that can help me on a NYC case regarding a dispute between two adjoining landowners.  The opposing party has built a second story deck off her apartment, totally covering the courtyard and coming within 3 inches of my client's building.  (The parties are adjoining landowners and share a property line.)  I need help:

1.  to determine where on the surveys various buildings lie, whether a deck of an adjoining property is encroaching on my client's property;

2.  Assess whether the second story deck of the adjoining property is properly built (need to know NYC building codes).  My understanding is the deck is totally illegal in NYC since it is a second story deck, without permits and goes within 3 inches of my client's property line;

3.  Assess and quantify the damage to my client's building due to the second-story deck covering the entire courtyard, blocking out all light and air, and causing severe damage to my client's side of the building that the deck borders.

4.  Assess how the water flow has been altered due to the deck, cement slope placed on the ground for the footings, as well as additional damage caused by excessive watering of garden on the second story deck.  The major damage to my client's building is from excessive moisture caused by the deck.

Please email the names and numbers of any NYC expert that can help me with these issues.  Email is great.  Thank you as always.

Best, Gail Blasie

Gail M. Blasie, P.C.
Attorney at Law
1134 Lake Shore Drive
Massapequa Park, NY  11762
phone:  (516) 457-9169
fax:  (516) 804-8219
http://www.blasielaw.com

Notice: This e-mail and any attachments may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments and destroy any printouts.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: Under regulations issued by the U.S. Treasury, to the extent that tax advice is contained in this correspondence (or any attachment hereto), you are advised that such tax advice is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by you, or any party to whom this correspondence is shown, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending the tax advice addressed herein to any other party.