[Fredslist] Janet Adler & Diane Diresta

michaelappell at aol.com michaelappell at aol.com
Fri Mar 14 00:41:28 EDT 2008

About 100 Baruch College students attended their "Pearls of Wisdom: Women's Leadership Conference"

The Keynote Speaker, our very own "Pearl", Janet Adler held the audience in rapt attention as she told the inspirational story of own her personal journey which we considered most inspiring as she took on and conquered the challenges of job hunting and child care, and progressed from secretary to entrepreneur, boat manufacturer, district sales manager and finally to highly regarded New York City Real Estate Broker, breaking "glass ceilings" along the way.? She even prompted the audience to do good deeds and help people thereby incorporating the spirit of the Gotham mantra "It's better to give than to receive".? And Janet's final Pearl, "Follow Your Heart" was met with resounding applause.?

Did any of us know that some of the boats she manufactured transported about 300 Cuban people to Florida back in the 1960s?

Baruch College President Kathleen Waldron, having broken ceilings herself, could not hide her enthusiasm and delight with Janet's presentation.

I am personally delighted that Janet accepted the invitation to address the conference when they reached out to Gotham, and, Janet, I owe you.

Next we were treated to Diane Diresta's workshop on the art of business communication.? Again the attendees were totally attentive and able to absorb some Gotham Magic.? Diane, it was a pleasure to watch you in action.? The students will be well served to take your advice as they launch their careers.

Our next Gotham/Baruch function will be our Pre-Law Panel presentation on March 18th as we continue to build a our relationship with the most diverse student body in the nation.

Michael N. Appell
127 East 59th Street, 3rd floor