[Fredslist] Sensational Seven - Gotham's Swim Team

Debra Lindner debbie at gothamnetworking.com
Sun Jul 20 14:21:23 EDT 2008

Hi Gotham

Please see the email below which was written by one of the Gotham
swimmers - can you guess which Gothamite wrote this great account of
yesterday's swim?

Congrats to all of the swimmers - you made us proud!
Debbie

SENSATIONAL SEVEN - GOTHAM'S 2008 SWIM TEAM

Reporting on the success of the Sensational Seven:

Fred greeted everyone with a light grey Gotham Networking T-shirt.
Group pictures were taken prior to the swim.  This writer thinks a group
picture would be fun at the end of the swim as well.  Something for next
year.

The sun was broken with clouds.  The water temperature was perfect,
neither cold nor bath water warm.  Fred gave advice to team newbies:
wait to enter the water, go behind the masses to avoid getting knocked
about.  Although we did that, it was impossible to stay out of
everyone's way.  Drivers know (hopefully) how to drive defensively; this
entailed swimming defensively.

It was also impossible to stay on a direct path.  Consequently, the mile
swim became more than a mile.  Some of us used masks and snorkels, some
of us used our naked eyes.  Some, not on our team, wore wetsuits.

Upon hitting the water, the lack of visibility was a jolt.  Underwater
was greenish.  We could see as far ahead as our own hands.  This
necessitated looking above water every few strokes to ensure no
collisions and to help stay on course.

We swam 1/2 mile out to an orange buoy, made a left turn and another
left at a 2nd buoy to start the 1/2 return leg.

Before the swim, Fred asked if anyone was nervous.  When told "No." by
one member who asked him if he was nervous, he replied, "Yes."  When
asked, "Why?"  He replied, "I always am."

Some of us set our watches to time ourselves.  Fred kept track of his
time better than anyone else.  The rest of the team remembered to check
several minutes after exiting the water, and probably only because Fred
reminded us.

Two of our Sensation Seven opted for the 1/2 mile swim.  One, Gothamite
Robert Arnold, Jr., came to do the 1/4 mile, and completed the 1/2 mile.
This was Bob's first time.  Congratulations, Bob!  And, Justine Raymond,
Gothamite Rick's daughter, who swam the first 1/4 and (wisely) decided
to take a boat back to shore.  Justine attended a very late event the
night before, was tired before the swim, and had the common sense to
care for her safety.  Kudos, Justine!

Gary Anzalone, Chairman of Bandit Too, was raring to get into that
water.  Had a lot of energy! Gary's son's friend, Garrett Shimizu, was
one of our teammates.

Gary and Garrett finished first for our team.  Congratulations to both!

This year the swim team welcomed its first woman Gothamite, Elizabeth
Marner-Brooks, who completed the mile about 4 minutes after Fred and a
few minutes before Team Captain, Rick Raymond.

Of the SS (Sensational Seven), 5 are Gotham members and 2 are family and
friends of members.

The Red Cross lifeguards, on their surfboards, stationed closely enough
to monitor all the swimmers, were amazingly alert.  The rescue boats,
ditto.

One team member misplaced the meal ticket given upon arrival.  There was
no problem getting a replacement.

Hope to see more on our team next year!  Great exercise, team spirit,
charity, and an almost guaranteed solid sleep that night.