[Fredslist] auctions

jzinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Tue Jan 29 17:20:14 EST 2008

Gotham,
My synagogue has 4 Nakashima chairs that were designed on a commission basis
and is planning on auctioning them off in a few months.  Today another
congregant mentioned to me that if we put them on the auction block and they
do not sell for the asking price they will never sell. In addition since
they are unique and do not fall in Nakashima's traditional style that they
would be a hard sell.   Can anyone explain what this means? The auction and
rare furniture world is not one that I am familiar with but a number of
people are looking to me as a design expert on this sale.  I can explain the
design which is quite unique but how the cost or value of these pieces is
affected is not my expertise.  Any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Josh