[Fredslist] Gas savings for real

Jeanne Anne Norton jnorton at abramslaw.com
Fri Jan 25 16:26:47 EST 2008

I received this and thought I should pass it along.  We all need to save
money where we can.

________________________________

	Let's try it and see if we can save more money and get better
gas

	TIPS ON PUMPING GAS   (Good information)

	I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here
in California we are
	also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work
is in petroleum for
	about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your
money's worth
	for every gallon..

	Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA
we deliver
	about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel
	the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium
grades. We have
	34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000
gallons.

	Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when
the ground temperature is
	still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
storage tanks buried
	below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline,
when it gets
	warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the
evening....your
	gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the
specific gravity
	and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel,
ethanol and other
	petroleum products plays an important role.  A 1-degree rise in
temperature
	is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not
have
	temperature compensation at the pumps.

	When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle
to a fast mode. If you look
	you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle,
and high. In slow mode you
	 should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors
that
	are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a
vapor return. If
	you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes
to your tank
	becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into
the underground
	storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

	One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank
is HALF FULL.  The
	reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less
air occupying
	its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can
imagine. Gasoline
	storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves
as zero clearance
	between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the
evaporation. Unlike
	service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is
temperature
	compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

	Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the
storage tanks when you stop
	to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being
stirred up
	as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the
dirt that
	normally settles on the bottom.

	Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

	DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!