[Fredslist] recommendations on siding

jzinder jzinder at joshuazinder.com
Mon Jan 7 10:12:51 EST 2008

Leslie,

In general I tend to tell people to avoid vinyl or aluminum siding and tell
my clients to use natural materials or the new concrete siding that is on
the market but I realize that cost is a big factor in these decisions and
aluminum and vinyl cost a lot less so I give this one piece of advice.  Mold
is a danger when applying these systems the key to prevent it is to allow
airspace between the substrate and the siding this space should allow for
air movement from the bottom to the top and vice versa seasonally.  Most
systems will provide this but installers rarely take advantage of it since
it is easier to install without this is especially when they are just
putting over old siding.  This has been found to be a component in sick
house syndrome and can be easily prevented.

Good luck let me know if you need anymore info.

Hope it helps

Josh

  _____