[Fredslist] Today's Meeting

Gerald Goldhaber geraldgoldhaber at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 17:51:49 EST 2008

Fellow Experts:

  If you were at the luncheon, you know we had a very valuable and extensive discussion about marketing the expert witness.  Among the highlights of our discussion were the following points:

  1.  Brand marketing or separating you from other experts is important;  price isn't the answer here;  we must provide details about HOW we are different from others in the market (why are we better than our competition?).
  2.  We need to develop our "elevator speech", our 2 minute summary of why we should be hired (make the sale before we get to the floor while riding the elevator).
  3.  Market to past and current clients, preferably face-to-face in meetings, seminars, workshops, luncheons, drinks after work, etc.  Obviously, emails or letters to attorneys can precede the phone calls to set up the meetings.  It is best to use client attorneys to call others of their colleagues to introduce you to new attorneys at the same law firm.(known as "cross-selling")
  4.  Possible expert directories to consider listing your services with include: JurisPro and Legal Pages (I promised you all the names of the directories I use).
  5.  Keep good lists of clients and potential client contacts and keep them updated.
  6.  Send resumes, articles, holiday gifts or wishes 1-2 times/year/client to prevent the "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome from occurring.
  7.  Use Gotham's Resources: Fredslist to advertise services on Fridays, Gotham Speaks to publish your articles online with Gotham (free and it will allow you to be accessed via Google to non-Gotham members).
  8.  GIve public speeches, workshops, seminars to lawyers' groups and trade associations, including the NY Bar, the DRI, the NY County Lawyers Assoc,, etc.

  If any of you feel I've missed some key point(s) in our discussion today, please send me an email and I'll summarize for our members.

  Our next meeting is April 7 and I am working on a couple ideas for our topic: cross-examining the expert (I'm trying to get a lawyer to do this for us) and/or "positioning the expert" (Geraldine Newman has volunteered to do this for us) and/or "fine-tuning the elevator speech" (somebody in Gotham named Andrea....help me with her last name someone and I'll contact her).  Please send me any other ideas you may have for future topics and I'll bring them to the group's attention.  We are discussing a joint meeting, possibly in May or June with the Gotham Lawyers Group.  More on that later.

  Plan ahead for April 7 and let me know if you will be joining us.  We had a full house today so space gets to be at a premium.  Thanks.  Gerry Goldhaber

Gerald M. Goldhaber, Ph.D.
President and CEO
GRA, LLC
800 6th Avenue, Suite 26G