[Fredslist] Wine Tasting/Networking Dinner

pnapolitano at vzw.blackberry.net pnapolitano at vzw.blackberry.net
Mon Feb 11 11:38:05 EST 2008

Wine Tasting/Networking Dinner

As a thinly veiled reason to go out and drink great wine, David Klein suggested the wonderful idea that we set up a wine tasting disguised as a networking dinner. Nothing is set yet and I would like to gauge the interest and get ideas for the location and such. Please email me if you are interested.

The working idea is this: I will supply/purchase wines from different regions and set up a dinner at a restaurant that will give us a five course tasting menu to pair with the wines. I could explain what each wine region offers and what to expect in the wines we are tasting.

I think we should present the wines in a "blind" format. That is, each wine will be concealed and unveiled after a little tasting and discussion. In that way there is no bias and you will learn to trust your palate and not to be influenced by the price of the wine or its label. For example, I could serve three wines to the group. They might all be 2000 vintage Cabernet Sauvignon but one would be from California (soft and forward), one from Bordeaux (age worthy and complex) and one from Italy (a cross between California and Bordeaux with a distinctly different flavor profile).

I think we will do the first dinner on Long Island where I can get better deals with chefs I know. A friend of mine just bought Mac's in Huntington. I think that would be a good place to start. I would prefer a weeknight, likely a Tuesday.

It would have to be a maximum of ten people (eight is better) for the wines to be shared and enjoyed properly. The dinner would likely cost about $100 per person with tax and tip included. We would likely do about one bottle per person with the average price per bottle being $75 to $100. So figure on the whole night being under $200 per person.

Like I said, nothing is set in stone, so suggestions are very welcome. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Napolitano
Director, Environmental Division