[Fredslist] [Promo] You don't know what's on your company's network

Glenn Dekhayser gdekhayser at voyantinc.com
Fri Aug 8 11:48:30 EDT 2008

First, some valuable information.

1)      There has been renewed, aggressive activity by what's known as
the "Storm" virus/worm, that has slowed down e-mail systems worldwide
over the past week.  We saw a spike on our customers' networks early
Sunday going into Monday.  So if you are noticing that it has taken
longer for emails to arrive to you this week (or for your emails to
arrive to others), that is very likely the reason.

2)      Did you know that your browser goes to places on the internet
without your knowledge?  We recently found that certain valid
flash-based sites obtain content from domains in a way that completely
bypasses the security zones set up in your browser- and there's NO way
to find this out on the PC itself, so the user has no idea where the
content is actually coming from.  We performed a test with a 'browser'
written in flash that completely bypassed all the security measures
built into IE and Firefox.  You can bet that hackers already know this.
You should disable Flash on your browsers for all but the most trusted
sites.  If you have people that browse for fun on their lunch hour, for
instance, using your corporate network, you're exposing your business to
a HUGE risk.

3)      Don't expect your anti-virus program or network firewall to tell
you when they're not working or have been compromised.  Would you expect
a corrupted cop to tell you he's not doing his job?  Same thing here.
The people who wrote the 'Storm' and 'Krakken' worms target your
anti-virus program, and immediately disable it JUST for them, allowing
it to still catch other viruses, so you still think it's working.  In
the meantime, keystrokes are being logged, and confidential personal and
business information is being stolen.

Our firm (Voyant Strategies) specializes in Network-based Intrusion
Detection, which tells you very quickly what exactly is going on in your
network:

*         Viruses

*         Worms

*         Spyware/Malware

*         User network abuse (like surfing places they shouldn't be)

*         Illegal MP3 downloading

*         Confidential data release

We do this without touching any of your servers or desktops/laptops,
without a major project, and the process takes only 1-2 hours of time
from the main network person in the organization.

We have VERY rarely worked with a customer where we didn't see
surprising activity on the network.  Gotham members AND referrals
through Gotham will have our one-time setup fee waived for this monthly
service.

For more information please contact me directly.

Gothamly,

Glenn Dekhayser

Vice President, Technology

Voyant Strategies, Inc.

45 Village Court

Hazlet, NJ 07730

(800) 463-7920 x514

Fax: (732) 810-0378

IM: gdekhayser on AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and Google Chat