[Fredslist] PROMO: Ever Wonder What to do When the Lunch is Over?

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Fri Apr 18 14:51:45 EDT 2008

It seems simple enough. “Let’s do lunch and talk some business.” But
without a plan of action on how to follow up after you’ve taken your
last bite, you might end up with a prospect who falls off the grid.

A business lunch is a great business development tool, but it should
be only one step in your sales process. Most clients are not going to
be won over with one meal. Expect to be in it for the long haul. It
may take months, if not years to cultivate and win a client.

Once you’ve had the opportunity to plant the seeds of a relationship
with a business lunch, it’s crucial to nurture them to make them
grow. Consider the following:

Stay in regular contact with your prospect by using a contact
management system.

Find ways to stay on their radar that may be slightly “out of the
box” such as sending invitations to unusual events (gallery openings,
fundraisers, sporting events).

Demonstrate that you’re thinking of them by emailing articles and
links that might be of interest.

Be a conduit to other people that might be of interest to your
prospect. Facilitate introductions, so that you are viewed as a
valuable resource.

Be patient and understand that persistent and intelligent outreach
that is value-driven and not merely “touching base” will ultimately
help you to convert a prospect into a client.

Best
Adrian

Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288
516-445-1135 (cell)
www.adrianmiller.com
http://www.adrianmiller.com/blog/

Our fabulous teleclass on 5/20.  Here's where:
http://www.diresta.com/teleseminars/newteleseminars.html

See my book: The Blatant Truth: 50 Ways to Sales Success" at
http://www.theblatanttruth.com/

Be certain to attend the Annual HIA Business Trade Show & Conference
on May 22nd. It's not to be missed:
http://www.hia-li.org/tradeshow2008/

"What if we train them and they leave? What if we don't train them
and they stay?"