[Fredslist] Need Legal Advice: Bought Car, Signed Papers, Dealer Says I Owe $4k More?

Troy White troywhite.gotham at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:14:56 EDT 2007

On Friday, I purchased a new car.  About 1 hour after receiving a
bottom-line price (including taxes, fees, etc) without me signing
anything yet, the dealer called and said the rebate they originally
quoted was off by $1k (in their favor, of course.)

This was a legitimate oversight, so I signed a stack of papers and loan
docs for Bottom-Line Price #1 + $1k.

This is where legalities begin to creep in: do I now own this car, at
the price I signed the documents for?

The reason I ask is b/c I had to leave early the next morning for a West
Coast business trip, so I never took physical possession of the car -
the papers were signed, and I agreed to pick up the car in a week.

So, today they called and said "whoops, we found another invoice error
we made, you owe us an additional $4k, we need to re-do the paperwork
and you need to sign again."

My question is: do I actually owe another $4k, or am I only responsible
for the original price (bottom line + $1k) that I signed for?

If I would have picked up the car last Saturday am, the day after the
signing and before they found their calculation error, it seems the car
would be mine, sitting in my driveway.  But since it's still on their
parking lot, I'm not sure what to do.  Of course, I'd like to show up at
the dealer, signed papers in hand, and ask for the car at the signed-for
price.

Any help is appreciated, you can reach me at either
troywhite.gotham at gmail.com or cell 917-270-0634.

Thank you, Troy White