[Fredslist] The Wizard of 47th Street - Ed Bienstock

JanPresent at aol.com JanPresent at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 22:47:40 EST 2007

Yes, boys and girls, there actually are a few, very few but still a few,
individuals who care about art and craftsmanship, and generosity of spirit. And
you all know one of them, whom I have just christened "the wizard of 47th
Street", Ed Bienstock.

I have to write this. I am compelled to write this because I need to  keep
everyone in the Gotham family from making the mistake of buying a  piece of
precious jewelry from anyone but Ed.  You  know from a message I wrote last year
that he created a dazzling pair of diamond  drop earrings for me to wear at our
50th wedding anniversary gala.

Here is my latest story.

Our family insurance company has been all over me to have the "family
jewels" reappraised, since they have not been looked at since 1999. Foolish lad
that he is, Ed offered to do it for me. I do not think he quite anticipated the
enormity of the problem inasmuch as my mother was a major collector of serious
 "bling bling" which I had the great good fortune to inherit, and my husband
has  added to the collection over the past 50 fun-filled years. So there is a
fair  amount of "stuff" and the awful possibility of my kids quarreling over
divvying it up when I croak unless I figure it all out ahead of my croaking
time.

Ed charges $30 per appraisal, which in and by itself is an  extraordinary
bargain. (You need to know that, five years ago I  was charged $1000 to have my
engagement ring appraised at a retail  neighborhood jeweler, does that tell you
anything?)  But should he also  identify the slightest flaw in the look of
the piece, he feels obligated to  polish and repair, at no additional charge
because he could not possibly return  it in anything but perfect condition.

In addition, a trip to Ed's astonishingly secure office allows  you an
introduction to his father, his brother, his sister and, in my case,  a visiting set
of cousins from Switzerland plus another resident genius named  Izzie,
(father of six children with the seventh is on the way) who appears  to be young
40ish and knows pearls the way Ed knows diamonds. Its a quinella.  Its a
happening. And everyone in the office is smiling, all the time, having a  nice day.
His family is a joy-filled group.

I mentioned to him earlier that I wanted to wear some "stuff" to parties
this weekend, so, in spite of my offering to come downtown and pick everything
up, he dropped it off at my apartment around 9:00 PM this evening. I will say
that again, he dropped it off at my apartment  this evening.

Now get this part. I gave him some gold to scrap, a couple of pairs of
earrings which I hated and which I knew I would never wear nor would any of the
descendent women in the family. He said he would sell it, which he did, took his
 fee out of the scrap, returned the remainder to me in cash
and............gave  me a "Gotham discount."  This project, started yesterday, took hours and
hours of his time because he wrote an appraisal of every piece, how could I
not  owe him money? It boggles my mind.

I think Ed will never be a very rich man, not in the way we all think of
rich. He can't possibly make a great deal of money being so generous with his
skill and creativity and his sense of perfection. But he is already a rich  man,
he has a wonderful family, he has talent combined with kindness and  courtesy
and a sense of humor, and trust me, boys and girls, at my age I have  met
every kind of personality. He is genuinely one of a kind. I am so happy to  know
him.

As Gotham grows, as you youngsters network yourselves into the millions,  you
will want to buy nice things, cars, houses, clothes, jewelry, maybe even for
these holidays. Don't make a mistake. Go off to see the wizard. You will
thank  me for it.