[Fredslist] Decisions decisions

Gil Effron gil at strategiesforgrowth.net
Fri Nov 30 09:30:22 EST 2007

"It's Thursday. Bob always makes
decisions on Thursdays."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Untitled"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decisions are tough (as evidenced by the fact that I've worked on this email all
 week and still haven't decided on a headline).
However, the good news is that I was able to decide what to say about decisions,
 so here goes:
Some people make decisions quickly. Others take a great deal of time to decide.
They ponder the pros and cons, ruminating over every little factoid, desperately
 trying to avoid making a mistake in the process of attempting to make a good decision.
Little decisions are often easy. Choosing where to take a client to lunch is a relatively
effortless decision. So is setting the order of your agenda for Monday's staff meeting.
In business, little decisions can often be delegated. Not only is it a good way
to personally avoid making decisions, but when you delegate -- that is, when you
 empower subordinates to make decisions -- you provide them with an opportunity
to learn how to make good (or better) decisions. They can learn without sinking
the entire ship.
Naturally, important, larger decisions require more time and thought. And you probably
won't want to delegate them.
When there's a lot of money involved, decisions often come slowly. . . unless you
already have a great deal of money.
But when you're struggling to grow a business, when you're faced with a slowing
market or economy, when you're dealing with the challenges of rapid growth or not
enough qualified prospects, money is often tight. Each decision weighs heavily.
It's not a matter of "shall I spend money on this," but, "given the fact that everything
is important, where shall I spend the money on first?"
Making Decisions
There are two components to every decision. The first component is the logical side.
It's based on hard data.
When you evaluate a new piece of equipment, for example, you can ascertain exactly
how many widgets you can manufacture in an hour and how many hours a week you can
produce widgets at that pace. You can precisely calculate how long it will take
to pay it off that fancy new piece of machinery.
Now, that all sounds well and good -- and logical -- until you come face to face
 with the second component of every decision: the highly illogical or emotional
side.
All the best data in the world often isn't sufficient to give business owners, CEOs,
or professionals the level of confidence they need to make a decision (good or bad).
After they gather all the facts, they still must "feel" that it's the right thing
to do.
The problem is that this emotional side of making decisions is governed by fears
 and doubtsof making the wrong decision. Because the emotional side is more powerful
than the logical side, it leads to a stalemate we lovingly refer to as:
Indecision!
When it comes to making decisions, truly the biggest danger is indecision: not making
the important decisions that need to be made, when they need to be made.
As a business advisor, I see this too often. Business owners and professionals don't
make important decisions. Sometimes that indecision has to do with investing in
equipment, marketing programs, firing a long-time employee, or hiring a business
 advisor like me.
In each and every case, when they fail to make a decision, it costs them money,
it costs them time, and it short changes their opportunity.
The longer it takes for them to make that decision, the harder it is to come to
grips with taking action. The need to make that specific decision seems to go away.
. . evaporate. . . being replaced by new decision that needs to be made,  sometimes
as the result of not making the initial decision.
The way I see it, making no decision is often worse than making the wrong decision.
If you make the wrong decision, at least you stand a 50-50 chance of being right.
When you make no decision (which is a decision in its own right), you're wrong every
time.
Just for Fun. . .
I compiled a list of 37 important decisions that most people have faced at one time
or another in their personal and professional lives. You've probably dealt with
many of these.
I'll send you the list. Take a look and then check them off. You'll see how many
 "big" decisions you've already made. . .
Then, as I was working on that list, I "decided" it would be helpful to provide
you with a methodology to make the decision-making process easier.
It's a simple little tool that anyone can use with just about every problem, no
matter how complex the problem. Suffice it to say, it won't give you the answer.
 But it will help you see it more clearly. . . and it may help you take action sooner
than later.
To receive the list and the tool:
"37 Important Decisions People Face
In Their  Personal And Professional Lives"
and
"The Handy Little Decision-making Tool"
Click replyto this email, enter"37 decisions" in the subject line,
and the list and the tool will be emailed to you.
Or call me at 800-226-2428.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gil Photo [http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fL9nJy9n2BfynxWct1LSEJImX5dJyIc_9P4eY7X-fAhB-3bKn6zLmdyczcZ8aosBd3BT8svD-tTg2DlDVC58vhMl76JHhGT0G9Y598Mo4vKc7Sa65dhNqmJq41ogdIl2]Hope
this helps you make better decisions!
Gil Effron
Strategies For Growth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strategies For Growth uses a two-step approach to eliminate costly GAPs throughout
your entire organization.  First, a comprehensive diagnostic identifies each of
the critical GAPs that inhibit growth and prevent you from becoming a consistently
profitable and successful business.  Second, we provide you with the specific strategies
and tools you need to eliminate each of those GAPs while increasing operational
efficiency, sales, and profitability.
For those who qualify, we GUARANTEE measurable results and success!
© 2007 Gil Effron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101584153119&ea=fredslist@gothamnetworking.com&a=1101895465231

This email was sent to fredslist at gothamnetworking.com,
by gil at strategiesforgrowth.net

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001jyV49J2cwWrQRZZPr87lufV2nDjebFL3Pa3j62xS5OrPbAvN4eiQ5RKS1TWX5e-Q&p=oo

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001jyV49J2cwWrQRZZPr87lufV2nDjebFL3Pa3j62xS5OrPbAvN4eiQ5RKS1TWX5e-Q&p=un

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Email Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

Strategies For Growth | 800-226-2428 | 305 Madison Avenue, Suite 449 | New York | NY | 10165