[Fredslist] Learning curves are costly

Gil Effron gil at StrategiesforGrowth.net
Fri Nov 16 09:11:06 EST 2007

My granddaughter Trudie recently turned six. She's at that age where, when I
try to show her anything, try to help her do anything, or suggest she try a
slightly different approach, she looks me straight in the eyes and tells me,
"Grandpa, I can do it myself."

There's a natural desire for people to want to do and try things their own
way. After all, it's one of the ways we learn. And everyone at some point in
their lives relies on this approach we fondly refer to as "trial and error."

The problem with a do-it-yourself trial-and-error approach when it comes to
business is that while you may ultimately solve your problem... while you
may ultimately learn how to do it... the cost of your learning curve in both
time and money could far outweigh the cost savings and short-term benefits
of turning to a professional to get it done properly and in considerably
less time.

As a business advisor, I see this phenomenon far too often.

Case In Point!

Recently, at a chamber of commerce event, I chatted with a young man who
started a new business about two years ago. He and partners have a viable
business idea and model. I believe that it could ultimately be extremely
successful.

One of the first things I learned from my young friend is that they're
having difficulty getting the right kinds of leads... and enough of them (my
favorite topic). He described to me what they're doing, what is working
(very little), and what's not.

I offered to meet with him... talk to him. I recommended one or two events
that would be helpful for him to attend... and I even volunteered to arrange
and meeting with a one of the most highly respected authorities on lead
generation in the country. "No," he said, "I think we have it covered. We've
been trying different things."

Pay Attention To The Real Value!

When it comes to business -- those in a rapid growth mode especially --
business owners don't have the time... and most don't have the money... to
live through an unending procession of trials and errors.

But they do have a telephone and that telephone can lead them to answers...
to an industry authority, professional, coach, consultant, advisor, or -- in
this case, a lead generating expert -- who could save them thousands of
dollars and hundreds of hours by keeping them from becoming lost in an
unending trial-and-error, do-it-yourself learning curve.

Instead of wasting time and money, they'd be booking more business and
banking more profit. In the end, that would be substantially more satisfying
and valuable to them than saying, "I did it myself."

What's Your GAP?

When I talk about GAPs, I'm referring to business GAPs, of course. They come
in all shapes and sizes.  Our "special teams" help business owners and
professionals eliminate the GAPs between where they ARE to where they need
to BE.

You may not need us. But someone you do business with... someone you know...
does! We're grateful for introductions. And the business owners you
introduce us to will be exceedingly grateful you did!

Don't Just "WATCH THE GAP," Eliminate It!

Gil Effron
Strategies for Growth
305 Madison Avenue, Suite 449
New York, NY 10165